PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Prepare for Shipping to End User (oem-config)

wyclif
November 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Ack! While doing routine administrative tasks, I made the mistake of scrolling over the menu item "Prepare for shipping to end user" and mistakenly clicked it.

Now, I did not know this, but that runs a script called oem-config. Before I knew what happened, a pop-up window informed that oem-config would run at next boot (with no option to cancel). NOT good!

Sure enough, oem-config ran upon reboot after I had to turn the laptop off. Now I'm terrified I'm going to lose all my settings. I do not want oem-config to run, nor do I want "oem" as user...

But the System Config memu runs, and I can't back out. I'm running Hardy on an IBM Thinkpad T40. I tried dropping into the boot menu at startup, that didn't help. Anybody?

P.S. I really think it's a bad idea to enable that menu option by default. It's too easy to run this script by mistake.

shifty_powers
November 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
afaik it just creates a temporaey "oem" account which would let you create the user account.

i shouldn't have any affect on your already created account and settings...

wyclif
November 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Yes, in the shiny UI there are about 4 windows you have to fwd through. Then I saw that the oem account was only temporary. But thank you for responding!

I think I'm gonna drop that from the menu anyway. Should I need to run oem-config intentionally, I can do it from the command line. :)

shifty_powers
November 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
np, glad to help :D