PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Coming back to my sweet baby ubuntu. Need help convincing

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Well i have fixed everything that was wrong with daemon and what not so i have decided to make ubuntu my main os, but i need to convince my family. My dad already said i can have it as my main os but my brother is freaking out because he thinks limewire wont work but i know it does, he is afraid of change. all he uses is myspace facebook and limewire he doesnt game or anything so ubuntu is perfect for him but he wont budge, how can i convince him. oh yea and how long will my update take to get to 8.10 cuz i need to install the 8.04 disk because that is what i have right now.

Vunutus
November 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
The best way to convince people that something is better is to show them. If your brother is only interested in P2P then nothing will change, except it won't be so insecure. Many P2P programs are nothing more than fire hoses to blow viruses and such into your computer. At least Ubuntu will be unaffected by them for the most part.

EDIT: You really shouldn't bump a thread one minute after you post it...

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
bump

luckis
November 15th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Hi! I would suggest downloading the new iso because an update would take some time and this would add up to the installation time, which is fast but still it is about 15 mins, so you 'd better download the 8.10 intrepid and install that instead!! :)
For Limewire just visit the official limewire site, the choose to download it...there is a version for linux, mac and windows! It is right there! :P
For the websites....firefox? Better faster safer prettier!

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 05:54 AM
thanks guys, my bro wont be home till tommorrow because he is at a party, and i just updated my live cd btw so i think it will auto install 8.10, if not ill update when it is, hopefully, my new os

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Better benchmarks (Faster and whatnot.)

More stable

It'll get him chicks (Just tell him that.)

Next to no malware

Free software! Lots of it!

It's GNU certified free as in speech. (As if he cares...)

Google, a multi-billion dollar corporation comprised of tech-savvy people thinks it's a better idea for their computers.

Software is updated with the click of a mouse

Better support (These forums for starters.)

It'll get him chicks (You want to press this point.)

More customizable (Meaning that he isn't limited by Windows' inability to add a theme option to their OS.)

He can use Gtk-Gnutella instead of Limewire, a program that removes a lot of the spam crap you get

There's a Python interpreter built in! (I doubt he cares...)

Mark Shuttleworth and Linus Torvalds both are better people and could beat up Bill Gates

Uses less RAM (I've had an idling XP using ~850MB and 8.10 with 3 programs open using ~600MB) which makes things more responsive and fast

It'll get him chicks (One last time for good measure.)

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 06:04 AM
well the update didn't update my live disk to 8.10 it just updated a few things, someone post pics of the default 8.10 look because all the ones on google are customized and such

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:05 AM
It's just like Hardy, but with a different background.

tweakedenigma
November 15th, 2008, 06:07 AM
If its just Limewire just show him its in the list.

http://www.limewire.com/download/version.php

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/teh_leetzor/Screenshot-HP-FileBrowser.png

will that underlined drive become part of my ubuntu drive? i want all of my memory to be under ubuntu

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Depends on how it's all setup by you.

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Depends on how it's all setup by you.

im gonna choose the one thing, where it just makes it your main os i forgot what its called but last time i installed i chose to install it under the greatest partion

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 06:21 AM
bump

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Really, you could just install it on the one drive with your second one unplugged, and when the OS is set up, you shut everything off, plug in the second one, boot up and you should be able to mount it through Places->Computer.

nhasian
November 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM
p2p programs like limewire spread viruses (virii) like wildfire in windows. wether your running an executable you downloaded via limewire, or even playing a WMV video that requires you to install some additional codecs, you can infect a windows pc with malware/spyware/viruses, etc.

You dont need to worry about that in Linux. So the best way to convince your brother to switch to linux is to tell him he can download all the pr0n he wants and linux will never get any slower or get infected by virii like windows does.

:lolflag:

lovinglinux
November 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I suppose you are sharing the same machine.

In my opinion, you should install Ubuntu on dual boot with Windows and let him use what he wants. Soon or later, he will notice Ubuntu and the cool stuff you will be doing with it. Give him some time to see what he is missing.

Install a BitTorrent like Deluge and show to him how much better it is than other p2p protocols or even install Limewire to show that you can use it on Ubuntu.

It might be a good idea to create an Ubuntu account for him and leave the computer logged in sometimes to see if he bites the bait.

Be democratic. If you build, they will come! :D

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I suppose you are sharing the same machine.

In my opinion, you should install Ubuntu on dual boot with Windows and let him use what he wants. Soon or later, he will notice Ubuntu and the cool stuff you will be doing with it. Give him some time to see what he is missing.

Install a BitTorrent like Deluge and show to him how much better it is than other p2p protocols or even install Limewire to show that you can use it on Ubuntu.

It might be a good idea to create an Ubuntu account for him and leave the computer logged in sometimes to see if he bites the bait.

Be democratic. If you build, they will come! :D

i tried that when i dual booted with it last year and all he did was complain because he had to shut down the computer but maby he has changed, hes almost 18 anyways so he is probably moving out in may

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
i just remembered last time i had ubuntu it got screwed up during an update, do you think it will screw up during the update to 8.10?

InfectedWithDrew
November 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
i just remembered last time i had ubuntu it got screwed up during an update, do you think it will screw up during the update to 8.10?

Yes.

Download the .iso fresh from this link in your bittorrent client: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Then burn it to a CD at the slowest write speed, for safety.

Then reboot your computer with the CD in it.

You mentioned earlier about your "main os." I think you want to have only one partition on your drive, with Ubuntu booting on it, yes? Then during installation, format your entire drive to have one partition, and use ext2 (ext3 offers more speed and journaling, which helps if you have crashes, but in return, it's less supported, since it's newer. You may choose ext3 if you like, it won't screw you over. It's up to you).

Be sure to back up all of your private data, including your Firefox profiles. Formatting a hard drive basically erases all data on it (for all intents and purposes).

Also, please stop bumping your thread twice in the same day, much less in the same 120 seconds.

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Yes.

Download the .iso fresh from this link in your bittorrent client: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Then burn it to a CD at the slowest write speed, for safety.

Then reboot your computer with the CD in it.

You mentioned earlier about your "main os." I think you want to have only one partition on your drive, with Ubuntu booting on it, yes? Then during installation, format your entire drive to have one partition, and use ext2 (ext3 offers more speed and journaling, which helps if you have crashes, but in return, it's less supported, since it's newer. You may choose ext3 if you like, it won't screw you over. It's up to you).

Be sure to back up all of your private data, including your Firefox profiles. Formatting a hard drive basically erases all data on it (for all intents and purposes).

Also, please stop bumping your thread twice in the same day, much less in the same 120 seconds.

what should i use to burn the iso on vista?

Yorper
November 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
what should i use to burn the iso on vista?

Use Imgburn, it's free, small and very simple to use.

http://www.imgburn.com/

mr-Kirch
November 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
nvm with the burning, im having a friend burn the iso for me b/c he has a mac and he has really good software on it for burning then ill install ubuntu tonight and hope for the best

jmszr
November 16th, 2008, 04:55 AM
mr-Kirch,
Just as a bye-the-way: Your brother seems to be a social networking kind of
guy so you might consider installing Flock: http://flock.com/ in addition to Firefox. It's a social networking oriented Browser that he might appreciate (you can always tell him [if he likes it] that you found it on Ubuntu).

mr-Kirch
November 16th, 2008, 09:25 PM
okay guys well i installed ubuntu over vista and its my main os right now and i love it, but i cant install compiz fusion. i had it when i used to have ubuntu but now it wont work, i followed all the steps that i used last time i got it to, http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Compiz-Fusion-on-Ubuntu-58113.shtml , thats what i used

Edit: and i cant install flash player for youtube videos

Mardoct909
November 16th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Did you get drivers for your GPU.

About flash... That's always been a problem with Linux, but it is possible to get around it. Try googling "install flash ubuntu 8.10" or some such.

MasterSander
November 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree --> flash

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager --> this installs compiz fusion manager, compiz is auto installed in ubuntu just not tweaked the way you like it yet :D

jmszr
November 16th, 2008, 09:49 PM
mr-Kirch,
Try this for flash:http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/10/16/install-adobe-flash-player-10-in-ubuntu-804-and-810/ P.S: Tombuntu also has posts on compiz

mr-Kirch
November 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
i got flash but now i need java, any help?

Speroith1
November 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Go to Java's website. I DL'd it last night. It gives you the option to install through the package manager. YouTube works flawlessly.

(I just installed Ubuntu for the first time yesterday - My first OS aside from windows)

starcannon
November 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The absolute easiest way to install flash, java, codecs, and all the other goodies is to enable medibuntu repositories:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

and then either open up synaptic package manager:
System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
and search for:
ubuntu-restricted-extras

or easier still from command line:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

For drivers with exception to certain situations, the best and easiest method is to use the hardware drivers utility:
System>Administration>Hardware Drivers
Simply enable anything listed, let it download and install what it asks for.

GL and keep it fun.

Tex786
November 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM
A picture speaks a thousend words!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/ubuntu786/Screenshot-2-1.png

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/ubuntu786/Screenshot-3.png

mr-Kirch
November 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Go to Java's website. I DL'd it last night. It gives you the option to install through the package manager. YouTube works flawlessly.

(I just installed Ubuntu for the first time yesterday - My first OS aside from windows)

i tried dling it but it wont work, and i still need help with compiz people

crjackson
November 17th, 2008, 11:59 PM
First of all, go to your software sources under the System -> Administration -> Software Sources menu.

Then enable everything under all the tabs EXCEPT proposed updates. Then prese the reload button and exit.

Next pen up a terminal (applications -> accessories -> terminal) and copy/paste this code:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs w32codecs totem-mozilla libdvdcss2 libdvdnav4 totem-xine xine-ui libdmx1 libxine1 libxine1-ffmpeg libxinerama1 libdvdread3

This will get most everything you will need media related, including flash and java.

Also what video card to you have. The problem may be that your video card isn't properly being supported under 8.10. Especially some ATI cards.

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM
First of all, go to your software sources under the System -> Administration -> Software Sources menu.

Then enable everything under all the tabs EXCEPT proposed updates. Then prese the reload button and exit.

Next pen up a terminal (applications -> accessories -> terminal) and copy/paste this code:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs w32codecs totem-mozilla libdvdcss2 libdvdnav4 totem-xine xine-ui libdmx1 libxine1 libxine1-ffmpeg libxinerama1 libdvdread3

This will get most everything you will need media related, including flash and java.

Also what video card to you have. The problem may be that your video card isn't properly being supported under 8.10. Especially some ATI cards.

i did the code and now my speakers wont work, how can i fix this?

crjackson
November 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM
i did the code and now my speakers wont work, how can i fix this?

There was nothing that would shut down your speakers that I know of. This was just codecs, java, flash, CSS libs for playing commercial DVD content, and a couple of players.

Reboot your system and see if that helps.

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
well, pretty much nothing is working on ubuntu 8.10. when i had 8.04 everything worked, java, compiz, flash, my speakers but now everything is just going wrong. so should i switch back to 8.04 and wait for a better update or should i just stick with 8.10 and wait for the next update

crjackson
November 18th, 2008, 03:23 AM
well, pretty much nothing is working on ubuntu 8.10. when i had 8.04 everything worked, java, compiz, flash, my speakers but now everything is just going wrong. so should i switch back to 8.04 and wait for a better update or should i just stick with 8.10 and wait for the next update

Honestly, I'm not happy with 8.10 as it is... I run 8.04.1 on all my systms save 1 laptop. The only reason I run 8.10 on the laptop is because of mobile broadband support (which is great btw).

I have poor video drivers under 8.10 (great under 8.04), sound glitches (no problems under 8.04), and some of my favorite applicateions (especially Kompozer) won't run under 8.10.

I do suggest you run 8.04 unless there is something specific that 8.10 offers that you NEED, and can't get under 8.04.

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Honestly, I'm not happy with 8.10 as it is... I run 8.04.1 on all my systms save 1 laptop. The only reason I run 8.10 on the laptop is because of mobile broadband support (which is great btw).

I have poor video drivers under 8.10 (great under 8.04), sound glitches (no problems under 8.04), and some of my favorite applicateions (especially Kompozer) won't run under 8.10.

I do suggest you run 8.04 unless there is something specific that 8.10 offers that you NEED, and can't get under 8.04.

i'll switch back to 8.04 tonight

Commander_Keen
November 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I personally wouldn't upgrade until 9.X comes out.
Its a difference between a major upgrade vs a Minor upgrade

Helios1276
November 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Well i have fixed everything that was wrong with daemon and what not so i have decided to make ubuntu my main os, but i need to convince my family. My dad already said i can have it as my main os but my brother is freaking out because he thinks limewire wont work but i know it does, he is afraid of change. all he uses is myspace facebook and limewire he doesnt game or anything so ubuntu is perfect for him but he wont budge, how can i convince him. oh yea and how long will my update take to get to 8.10 cuz i need to install the 8.04 disk because that is what i have right now.

If you share a computer then why not dual boot, seems a little unfair to force Ubuntu on your brother..be nice;)

drakeman007
November 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Is very hard to convince a person who are windows user for all life, but not impossible, why you dont use virtualbox, and install a virtual xp machine for they? i think if you have to do it you have to do it slowly, step by step....

starcannon
November 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
If you share a computer then why not dual boot, seems a little unfair to force Ubuntu on your brother..be nice;)

I have 2 brothers, this is what is known as "brotherly love"; lol, aka sibling rivalry.

Muahahahaha all your computer are belong to me! erm eh-hem, Dad, he'll like this better if he gives it a chance :D

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I personally wouldn't upgrade until 9.X comes out.
Its a difference between a major upgrade vs a Minor upgrade

do u still have 8.04

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
im installing 8.04 right now

gychang
November 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM
A picture speaks a thousend words!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/ubuntu786/Screenshot-2-1.png

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/ubuntu786/Screenshot-3.png

what's needed to get this background and 3rd dimension?

gychang

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM
what's needed to get this background and 3rd dimension?

gychang

3rd dimension is compiz fusion, you get the desktop cube with it

mr-Kirch
November 18th, 2008, 10:48 PM
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/teh_leetzor/updates.png

so many updates

mr-Kirch
November 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM
this is a really stupid question so i didn't want to make a new thread for it, how do i get a trash bin icon on my desktop? I just have the little one down in the right corner.

starcannon
November 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
this is a really stupid question so i didn't want to make a new thread for it, how do i get a trash bin icon on my desktop? I just have the little one down in the right corner.

Run this command:

gconf-editorThen open:
/apps/nautilus/desktop

put a check mark in:
trash_icon_visible [ ]

While your there, put check boxes in any other destkop icons you'd like, then close, and they will be there.

Have fun.

mr-Kirch
November 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Run this command:

gconf-editorThen open:
/apps/nautilus/desktop

put a check mark in:
trash_icon_visible [ ]

While your there, put check boxes in any other destkop icons you'd like, then close, and they will be there.

Have fun.

thanks

presence1960
November 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Mr Kirch, Don't try convincing people about Linux! Let them see it and wait for them to ask. Most people "convinced" will eventually give it up and then will likely feel that they were "forced" into it. This will prevent you from helping people because now they won't ask you for help. You like Linux right? Just use it, lead by example and when someone is attracted or curious they will ask you. Then you can introduce them to the Live CD and even offer to be there in case they need help. I believe the biggest mistake we make as a community is the lethal combination of acting like reformers coupled with a hate of a rival product. This is a no win combination for us and our prospective converts.

Victormd
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Mr Kirch, Don't try convincing people about Linux! Let them see it and wait for them to ask. Most people "convinced" will eventually give it up and then will likely feel that they were "forced" into it. This will prevent you from helping people because now they won't ask you for help. You like Linux right? Just use it, lead by example and when someone is attracted or curious they will ask you. Then you can introduce them to the Live CD and even offer to be there in case they need help. I believe the biggest mistake we make as a community is the lethal combination of acting like reformers coupled with a hate of a rival product. This is a no win combination for us and our prospective converts.

Couldn't agree more!

Tex786
November 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM

I agree but you know how kids can be...