PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to compile ubuntu?

firebirdworks
November 15th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I am starting a computer grid with a friend of mine. I want all of the computers to run Ubuntu, but he wants to use Gentoo. His argument was that Gentoo was smaller because it has only the packages you need and you compile it on your own system, so it is much more efficient.

My question is simply this: can I compile Ubuntu from source? If so, can I only chose the packages I need (not the most important part, we have 500 gb hard drives).

Thanks Ubuntu Community!

tvtech
November 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM
YES what do you think mint is ? or GOS or any of the dozen or so other ubuntu derived distro's are?

firebirdworks
November 15th, 2008, 03:25 AM
YES what do you think mint is ? or GOS or any of the dozen or so other ubuntu derived distro's are?

That would be the first time I have ever heard of it. Google has failed me.

A link would be muchly appreciated.

chrisod
November 15th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Compiling your own version of Ubuntu would seem to be well beyond the scope of "Absolute Beginners" though :) If you are serious about it you might get more help in one of the advanced forums.

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 04:00 AM
If your friend can install and deal with Gentoo, let him help you do it. If he won't help you, it puts the blame on him if you choose Ubuntu over it.

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 04:03 AM
If he wants the Gentoo way, go the Gentoo way. You can compile Ubuntu, but to have it the way you want, you'd need to modify every package to accept your flags. Gentoo builds on a configuration file that has all of your predetermined flags.

Ubuntu != Gentoo, so you should probably use Gentoo if you want to compile and configure your own system.

binbash
November 15th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I both use use Ubuntu and Gentoo (different notebooks). Let him keep gentoo, you will probably get no help because :

Ubuntu is not a rolling distro and gentoo does.YOu compiled everything at ubuntu , then 6 months later you have to compile it again with new release since it is not rolling (which gentoo does).

Anyway why do you want to remove INSTALLED and RUNNING gentoo and install ubuntu?It is WAYYY faster then ubuntu if you made a good make.conf

InfectedWithDrew
November 15th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Why not meet in the middle and install Debian? ;)