PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What software would you recommend for a new Ubuntu 8.10 user?

Obero
November 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
What do you have, why did you install that, and how well does it work compared to alternatives? This is a pretty general question, but I think it'll help me more than you think it might.

perlluver
November 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
There are a lot of threads on this, search for programs. However what exactly are you looking for? Office software, Music players, video players? With that info, we could probably help you out more.

Mecharuva
November 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah like Perl said, give us a little less broad range to give you. :P

MasterSander
November 15th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Instant messenger --> amsn (I use msn)
Music --> Amarok
Torrents --> Bittyrant
Videos --> VLC
Browsing --> Firefox

Mecharuva
November 15th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I'm about the same with Sander.
My preferences:
IM -> Kopete (I use Pidgin too)
Music -> Amarok (for sure.)
Torrents -> I use Vuze on Windows side for torrenting :P
Videos -> Definitely VLC.
Browsing -> Firefox (get rid of Konqueror! xP)

Obero
November 15th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah like Perl said, give us a little less broad range to give you. :P

I guess this is pretty much an open thread. If you have anything to recommend, please do so and also explain why. Media players, office, internet, video editing, graphics, etc.

Mecharuva
November 15th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Well there's a few up there.
For Office, just use OpenOffice.Org. You should already have it.
Idk about video editing, never done that.
For Graphics I ususally use GIMP. I hear it's as powerful as Photoshop, but whether or not it's as easy to use is to be debated...

MasterSander
November 15th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Well there's a few up there.
For Office, just use OpenOffice.Org. You should already have it.
Idk about video editing, never done that.
For Graphics I ususally use GIMP. I hear it's as powerful as Photoshop, but whether or not it's as easy to use is to be debated...

You can use gimpshop if you're used to using photoshop, it's the gimp with photoshop style menus.

jonobe
November 15th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Inkscape and Gimp are great graphics programs.

If you like Maths stuff, try KSeg,

Audacity music. And Audacious has an equaliser which is nice. (Edit: i've since discovered Amarok - i recommend Amarok now)

Basket notes are useful, and Thunderbird (with Lightning if you are busy).

3D high end? ...Blender.

It's all free. What have you got to lose by just downloading various stuff and seeing what appeals? You can always uninstall it if it's not for you.

:guitar:

perlluver
November 15th, 2008, 12:39 AM
For video editing I would recommend checking out this web site, namely there free software: http://www.linuxmovies.org/software.html. They also list some music editing software. I prefer banshee in Gnome, I also use Rhythmbox. Watching movies I use VLC, and the default video player. That is all I can think of now. Get back to you later.

ferdostar
November 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Just take a look here http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Alternatives ;)

MasterSander
November 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM
also make sure to install build-essentials and compiz manager

apt-get install build-essentials

apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Obero
November 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM
also make sure to install build-essentials and compiz manager

apt-get install build-essentials

apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

What do they do?

MasterSander
November 15th, 2008, 12:46 AM
build essentials is if you want to compile a program from the source (which is often necessary) and the compiz manager is to enable desktop effects and choose which ones etc etc

Obero
November 15th, 2008, 12:49 AM
build essentials is if you want to compile a program from the source (which is often necessary) and the compiz manager is to enable desktop effects and choose which ones etc etc

Compile a program? Elaborate, it sounds interesting but I'm not quite informed.

And will compiz work on most computers? My computer (hardware) dates back to like 2003, so I don't know if it'll work on mine.

MasterSander
November 15th, 2008, 12:52 AM
If you installed ubuntu, it's already installed, the compiz manager is to customize which effects.