PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Office-Ubuntu to Windows?

xCarmen09
November 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I currently have a laptop running XP, and I am looking into getting a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu. If I install Open Office on my Windows machine, will there be any problems with transferring files from my Ubuntu Mini to my XP laptop?

Thanks!!

Shwefty
November 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well, you could just save your file types as the Windows versions anyways (.doc, .xls, .ppt). Never tried saving the other file types before.

But, this site (http://3monkeyweb.com/3monkeys/2006/12/29/openoffice-odfodt-compared-to-microsoft-word-doc/) seems to suggest that Windows OpenOffice reads/writes the Linux equivalent file formats too.

Or, better yet, this might be the answer you're looking for:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu-help/81407-how-access-odt-windows.html

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I dont see why there should be an issue, as long as your files are in a format both can read (like .doc or .rtf) you should be fine.

fiddler616
November 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
A .odt file is a .odt file--it doesn't matter what platform it came from.
For that matter, you shouldn't have any trouble with .doc/xls/ppt files either.
You should be fine.
Edit:SunnyRabbiera beat me to it.

jenkinbr
November 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Lets see here - your post makes it sound initially like you are going from XP on current laptop to Ubuntu on the mini. However, you say at the end that you are transferring from the mini TO the current one.

That aside, What office program do you currently use? If it is works, you may need to save all your documents to rich text format, but I could be wrong here. If you happen to have MS Office 2003 or less, Don't even worry about it. OpenOffice.org can handle Office 2003 files without a problem. However if you have MS Office 2007, You will need to backsave all your files to Office 2003 format (in office 07, click the orange windows logo where the file menu should be, go to save, and select save as office 97/2000/xp (or something like that)).

I would still check and see if OO.o supports these files, as the above comes from *past* experiance, and could be fixed.

Hope this helps.

SunnyRabbiera
November 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Lets see here - your post makes it sound initially like you are going from XP on current laptop to Ubuntu on the mini. However, you say at the end that you are transferring from the mini TO the current one.

That aside, What office program do you currently use? If it is works, you may need to save all your documents to rich text format, but I could be wrong here. If you happen to have MS Office 2003 or less, Don't even worry about it. OpenOffice.org can handle Office 2003 files without a problem. However if you have MS Office 2007, You will need to backsave all your files to Office 2003 format (in office 07, click the orange windows logo where the file menu should be, go to save, and select save as office 97/2000/xp (or something like that)).

I would still check and see if OO.o supports these files, as the above comes from *past* experiance, and could be fixed.

Hope this helps.

Well formats like the opendoccument format from MS will not work by default in opne office and odf might not work by default in office without modification to ms office.
Thats why I said make the files a format both can read by default, both MS office and open office can read .doc or .rtf without extra BS.

ugm6hr
November 14th, 2008, 11:17 PM
If I install Open Office on my Windows machine, will there be any problems with transferring files from my Ubuntu Mini to my XP laptop?
OpenOffice files are identical - whether on Windows or Ubuntu.

So, the answer is no - there won't be a problem.

Bablefish
November 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I do it all of the time

SuperSonic4
November 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Hope this helps.

OO.o 3.x has read support for docx etc

fballem
November 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I currently have a laptop running XP, and I am looking into getting a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu. If I install Open Office on my Windows machine, will there be any problems with transferring files from my Ubuntu Mini to my XP laptop?

Thanks!!

Open office allows you to save Writer files as .doc, and Calc files as .xls, Impress files as .ppt.

There are two issues: Base, which does not produce .mdb and Draw, which I've never used.

Hope this helps,

xCarmen09
November 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I will be using my Windows laptop as my main computer, but I am getting the Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu to use as a secondary computer to take to classes. I will just be taking notes in Open Office, and using the Internet on the Ubuntu Mini. So I would be taking notes on the Ubuntu Mini using Open Office, and then I would want to transfer the Open Office files to my main (Windows) laptop. Sorry for any confusion.

I use Microsoft Word on my main laptop right now, but I just installed Open Office to get used to it. I want to have both on my main computer that way I can open any files I need to.

It sounds like it should work fine. Thanks for all the help!

jonobe
November 15th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have had no problems ever with transferring either MS or open office from Windows to Ubuntu or back to windows open office. Ooo always holds up fine.