PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not upgrading

stubblepoo
November 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
in update software the upgrade tab never shows and i have tried sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade in terminal but it says now packages need replacing. i know i am running hardy heron as it says so in system-->ubuntu.

any thoughts?

Hallvor
November 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
[deleted]

LowSky
November 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
go to system>admin>software source

Look for a tab that read upgrade to LTS version, change it to normal releases, then you will be abe to upgrade to Intrepid

Carl Hamlin
November 14th, 2008, 07:57 PM
in update software the upgrade tab never shows and i have tried sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade in terminal but it says now packages need replacing. i know i am running hardy heron as it says so in system-->ubuntu.

any thoughts?

If you're talking about the major upgrade button, you might consider yourself lucky it doesn't show on your update manager. The upgrade path is fraught with nightmarish possibilities, moreso this time than usual. I'd *highly* recommend backing up your data and installing fresh from CD this time around.

LowSky
November 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
If you're talking about the major upgrade button, you might consider yourself lucky it doesn't show on your update manager. The upgrade path is fraught with nightmarish possibilities, moreso this time than usual. I'd *highly* recommend backing up your data and installing fresh from CD this time around.

Dont scare people like that.
I upgraded and everytihng was fine. The same can be said for many others.

Most people forget that things like Graphics card and wireless drivers may need to be reinstalled.

prshah
November 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The upgrade path is fraught with nightmarish possibilities,

Dont scare people like that.

Absolutely right, LowSky. I've upgraded, without problems, from 7.04->7.10->8.04-8.10 (Beta, the first time, I've done this). with absolutely no troubles, even though I've often used third party repositories.

LowSky
November 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM
At least someone side with me, thanks prshah! :)

Upgrades are supposed to be painless. Canonical wouldn't have made upgrading an option if it was not. For the most part people will only post here if they have an issue, not if their system is running fine.

So for all the post you see here, that may actually be a small fraction of all the people using Ubuntu without glitches.