PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Easiest CD bootable software to image Ubuntu 8.10?

RichTJ99
November 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I am a former acronis user who would like to backup my new 8.10 / WinXP dual boot install. I would like to image the entire drive.

I read that Acronis doesnt work with 8.10 Ubuntu?

Any idea what the easiest thing to use is?

Thanks,
Rich

binbash
November 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM
It is working at me?

You can check clonezilla.

EDIT : you have to fix a line > snapapi26-0.7.26/snapapi26.c line 1869 if you want to work acronis work at ubuntu.I can write a howto if you want

RichTJ99
November 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi,

A howto guide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich

Keen101
November 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I've heard some good things about clonezilla too. Try looking on youtube for clonezilla walk-through.

RichTJ99
November 15th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Unfortunately Clonezilla doesnt seem to be able to boot on a dell mini. It seems to keep hanging.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,
Rich

gpsmikey
November 15th, 2008, 05:46 AM
While not free, I have been happy with "Image for Linux" (and the rest of their stuff) from terabyte inc --- http://www.terabyteinc.com -- you can try it first. I have not tried it with 8.10 yet, but I did mention it to them the other day and they didn't feel it was a problem. I may get a chance to image that drive tomorrow with IFL and see how it goes, but they have a good product and provide good support although it doesn't have the fancy gui front end Acronis does (I gave up on Acronis a couple of versions back when they kept releasing new versions instead of fixing the bugs people were complaining about).

mikey

scenerio
November 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a way to clone my Ubuntu drive. My hard drive is about to fail as it sometimes does not load on start-up and is 10+ years old. I just bought a 500 gig USB simpledrive so that I can create a clone of my current ubuntu drive (28 gig) and if it fails I could then use my backup to load it onto a new hard drive or just boot straight from my USB. this computer currently has windows on the master drive and Ubuntu 8.04 on the slave. I use the grub boot loader to select which operating system I want at startup. I have only been using Ubuntu and command line for a few months so I am new and rusty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shane19174
November 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
It is working at me?

You can check clonezilla.

EDIT : you have to fix a line > snapapi26-0.7.26/snapapi26.c line 1869 if you want to work acronis work at ubuntu.I can write a howto if you want

Yes, please do!!!

Thanks in advance

Steve1961
November 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Another vote for clonezilla

+1 also for that Acronis how to