PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb permissions for cell phone

alliance1975
November 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I would like to install an application named XS++ v4.1 for linux. It enables modding of Sony Ericsson phones. When unzipped the software consists of 2 folders (cust and data) and 1 file (XS++ v4.1). It requires libfltk1.1 to be loaded.

Recommended install code consists of:

aptitude install libfltk1.1
aptitude install gksu
chmod +x /your/path/to_xs/XS++ v4.1
gksudo /your/path/to_xs/XS++ v4.1

A final stipulation reads:

You will need to set up correct usb permissions or run the program as root! (The SE phones connect via usb data cable)

Would I be better setting up a menu item that would run the program as root or would I be better off adjusting the usb permissions. The final stipulation seems to suggest that the program can be run as a user or as root, but I am not certain of this. I think it would be best to install the folders and file in a dedicated directory in my home folder, of this too I am uncertain. How would I revise the permissions of the phones usb connection?

Any help/suggestions?

Blvaur
November 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Try having the program in your home directory and run it (as your user) and see what happens.
I think there isn't super user rights needed for connecting to the usb, but if so, you can always start up your program with gksudo as in "gksudo nautilus" (gives you graphical version of sudo).
And start up the program from the terminal to get all the error codes if there are any.

Hallvor
November 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Try this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /your/path/to_xs/XS++ v4.1

It will allow you to run it as a regular user.

LowSky
November 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
well you dont need to install gksu, that is installed by default, you can check synaptic for the other file

All you need to do is put the folder anywhere you like (you /home folder should work fine)
then use the code

sudo chmod -R 777 /your/path/to_xs/XS++ v4.1
then to run it

/your/path/to_xs/XS++ v4.1

EDIT Hallvor beat me to it