PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Problem copying to DVD

Scunnered
November 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I have been attempting to copy pictures from the folder in places to a DVD+RW using the DVD Creator but no matter what I try I receive the following an error message.

The message asks that I Reload a rewritable or blank disk and further advises that the following disk types are supported :
DVD+R DL

What is a DL type disk as this is a new one to me having messed about with Rewritable disks with Puppy I thought I had tried the lot.

I double checked that my system can work with DVD+RW and that was confirmed and I was using c totally blank DVD+RW so everything in theory should work.

I am totally confused with this problem and hope that you can come to my rescue.

LowSky
November 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
DL means Dual layer, but that shouldn't be giving you a problem writing to the DVD.

Have you tried using brasero or K3b?

Scunnered
November 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
LowSky

Thanks for your reply. No I have not tried these options but will do so and report back.

Scunnered
November 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I tried brasero and it appeared to work OK but when I tried to copy the DVD to Microsoft it came up in a mess. It appeared that it burned approx 4.2 GB of pictures and went through all the sequences of copying, checking and finishing but when I copied to to the folder then the total amount came to 41 MB.

Using properties on the disk in XP the visual information shows that the disk is completely full and has 43,470,848 bytes. Returning to Ubuntu properties there shows 4.2 GB.

I then went to delete the folder in XP and was informed that it was not possible as the items were write protected. In Ubuntu permissions stated that the owner is root and that I am not the owner, so cannot change these permissions.

Where am I going wrong ? Just when I thought I was making progress it seems like one step forward and two back again.

Your assistance will be appreciated

Scunnered
November 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I went and repeated the exercise and this time everything seemed to work OK. It all seems to be part of the Linux learning curve. I can't recall the number of times where the threat of doing something seems to work better than physically doing anything at all.

Once again many thanks for your kind assistance