PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to access a .3ds file extension in 8.04

shreyanshjain8
November 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM
hi techies....

i have installed a .3ds extension file of a design of space shuttle from www.nasa.gov.

but i am unable to open it in my ubuntu 8.04.

plzz can anybody help me out.

i also tried to install G3Dviewer . but as i downloaded it in .tar.gz extension so i need a proper steps to install...
i need that too... !!! :-(

thanking you in advance for an early help/\..

talsemgeest
November 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately it could have been made in any number of 3d applications.

However, you might want to give blender a go, to see if that will open it.
sudo apt-get install blender

As for your .tar.gz program, .tar.gz is just an archive, like .zip in windows. You need to see what is inside it, so to extract it, right-click it and click "extract here".
Take a look inside, and if it has files like "install" and "configure", then you should follow the tutorial here (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-source-files-in-ubuntu.html)

jlbr21
November 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
That file is surely a 3DS MAX file and, unfotunately there is no 3DS max for Linux (or Mac), but as suggested, install Blender and try to import it into that program, if you want to render the file, then you might want to try downloading a render program such as Lux (luxrender.net/)or Yafray (yayray.org) and there are more actually, google "open source render programs" and see what you can find, and then you could try to render the file from any of those programs.

shreyanshjain8
November 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
thanx everybody ...

iam trying to install blender...

thanks once again for your valuable time..

MenZa
November 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Blender will work well if you just import the file. I've done this a hundred times developing games. :)