PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] acer aspire one problems...

slammed87d21
November 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, where to begin. I gon a new Acer Aspire One a couple of weeks ago and I finally decided to put Ubuntu on it. To start, I followed the wiki word for word om how to install and set up my wireless. I talked to someone on IRC about the madwifi modules, and figured out the kernel wasnt new enough. so, i tried to upgrade it, but it says its already upgraded. whats worse is that this is my only computer at the moment so i have to switch between ubuntu and xp to get online. If anyone might have some advice or know what to do, I would appreciate anything very much. Thanks in advance.

ugm6hr
November 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
There are 2 different wiki entries for the Aspire One.

One for 8.10 (which is apparently recommended), and another for 8.04.

Tell us which you want / tried, and someone will point you in the right direction.

nothingspecial
November 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Have you installed madwifi. Please post what you have done. There are 2 aspire ones in our house and wireless runs smooth as a sausage on both.

If you let us know what you`ve done, I can help.

slammed87d21
November 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Have you installed madwifi. Please post what you have done. There are 2 aspire ones in our house and wireless runs smooth as a sausage on both.

If you let us know what you`ve done, I can help.

That will actually be hard to do as I have to reboot to you use WinXP to get online. I don't have any way to connect to my router right now except for wireless.

There are 2 different wiki entries for the Aspire One.

One for 8.10 (which is apparently recommended), and another for 8.04.

Tell us which you want / tried, and someone will point you in the right direction.

I tried 8.04.1 to no avail.

slammed87d21
November 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Also, I am having the problems begin when I try to install Madwifi. In terminal, when I type wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz , it says there is a problem getting the drivers and cancels. Is this something thats happened before?

nothingspecial
November 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Get a wired connection then copy and paste these commands into your terminal.

Download madwifi.

wget http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-20080903.tar.gz

Unzip it

tar -xvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-20080903.tar.gz

navigate to the extracted file

cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-20080903

If you`ve not got the tools necessary for compiling get them

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Then compile it

sudo make

sudo make install

load the module

sudo modprobe ath_pci

make it load every time you boot

gksudo gedit /etc/modules

then copy and paste this to the bottom of that file
Code:

ath_pci

save
exit
reboot

ugm6hr
November 14th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Also, I am having the problems begin when I try to install Madwifi. In terminal, when I type wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz , it says there is a problem getting the drivers and cancels. Is this something thats happened before?

If you're not already online (with wired) - wget can't download the driver.

Hence the problem.

If you absolutely can't use a wired connection, it is still possible to install madwifi, with a little effort.