PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UNIX for Dummies

shiningkenmonster
November 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I met this girl in my bio class and she told me she used to run on IRIX.

I told her I was just getting into linux. and I was trying to learn the bash commands. She never heard of Ubuntu or Debian. She only heard of Redhat/Fedora. She uses a Mac now.

she told me she;ll give me her old UNIX for Dummies book.

Would that help me learn bash command lines? I know Unix and Linux bash are very similar.- or is it somewhat pointless, since I would be learning something a little different from Ubuntu?

btw, i think I read somewhere that Debian keeps the Unix commands, and Ubuntu is build upon a Debian.

but i am not sure if they"re the same.

phidia
November 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
See the wiki on bash here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash).
I believe that should clear up some of your questions and there are links to other resources there too.

Generally bash is bash no matter where it's being used. It's hard to comment on the book not knowing the release date or author.
IMO dummies series vary a lot in quality/usability.

nhasian
November 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
you met a girl that ran Irix and you didnt propose to her on the spot?

:lolflag:

nothingspecial
November 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I found this useful

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

shiningkenmonster
November 15th, 2008, 05:17 AM

LOL, um she is not my type of nerdy girls. The nerdy girls i usually like are the ones from cal tech.

if you want to meet her, i'll introduce you to her.

InfectedWithDrew
November 15th, 2008, 05:20 AM

She uses a Mac now.

I don't know about you, but that little quip turns me right off.

Kellemora
November 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hi SKM

About the only good those Dummies books are for is starting the fireplace logs ablaze!

I spent nearly a month studying my **** off before jumping into Linux at all. NOTHING I studied served any purpose except to waste time. Well, it helped some with CentOS which is RedHat. But as far as Debian based, it really is like a whole different world.

Even the walkthrough type of books, if not for the EXACT distro version you are using, are of little help and none of them address even the most common problems. They assume everything will Just Work like they said it would! If not, well then YOU must have done something wrong, is the way THEY look at it.
They also forget to tell you things that they expected you to have learned when you got your pHd in Computer Sciences!

In other words the books go from overly simple, such as, See Spot, See Spot Run, to ones even the professor himself can't understand.
Has phrases like, "SIMPLY" edit your whatever file, then says nothing else. Of course, you need to know C++ as an understood prerequisite!

TTUL
Gary

eolson
November 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Anything Unix should help with Linux. At the command line level they are very similar. Only problem is, there are more than one shell (Bash, Bourn, Korn, C, TCSH, Z, etc. etc. (o.k. so I'm old) Bash being the most common so that is probably what the book addresses. Either way, there is enough commonality between the various shells (and Unix and Linux) so the book will still be useful. Grab it and the girl (when you get as old as I am, even a Mac using girl is golden).