PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] show all running processes

irish66
November 14th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi. is there a keyboard shortcut to show list of all running processess. ie what ctrl alt delete does in windows xp.
M

handydan918
November 14th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hi. is there a keyboard shortcut to show list of all running processess. ie what ctrl alt delete does in windows xp.
M

In a terminal window, you can enter
top or
ps aux

Just idle curiosity, or is there a reason for your query?

bswilson
November 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM
M

See the other replies about top and ps, but I believe you could assign a keyboard combination to launch the System Monitor application, which is somewhat similar to the Windows Task Manager.

Here are two good articles (1 (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-create-keyboard-shortcuts-in-gnome/),2 (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/assign-custom-shortcut-keys-on-ubuntu-linux/)) on how to do that.

irish66
November 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Wow. talk about quick responses. Yep, it was related to ldc++ running. but not showing on screen. I wanted to use an "end task" option.
Those commands you gave me seem to be to show running processess in text form. I guess what i really want is to be able to stop a program running.
M

binbash
November 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM
ps aux | grep programname
kill pidnumber

irish66
November 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks everybody
so bin, if i wanted to kill firefox, would it be
ps aux | grep firefox
kill pidnumber

binbash
November 14th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks everybody
so bin, if i wanted to kill firefox, would it be
ps aux | grep firefox
kill pidnumber

Sample :

xxxx@ubuntu:~/compiz/stackswitch$ ps aux | grep firefox
xxxx 18215 11.5 5.2 277244 108540 ? Sl 03:20 2:38 /usr/lib/firefox-3.1b2pre/firefox-3.1

kill 18215 or sudo kill 18215

you may need sudo at some programs

irish66
November 14th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Thank you. That seems like a lot of writing though.
M

irish66
November 14th, 2008, 03:30 AM
actually system moniter is fine. Thank you.Mr wilson.
M

bswilson
November 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM
actually system moniter is fine. Thank you.Mr wilson.
M

My pleasure! We're here to help you as best we can. :)

uiberto
November 19th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks, those gconf-editor links did just the trick.

Kinetic Being
November 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM
also you could use

killall

instead of

kill

to kill a program by its name instead of the processid.

Like this:

sudo killall firefox

would kill firefox.

gettinoriginal
November 19th, 2008, 03:53 AM
CLI is fine, but why not just >System >Admin >Sytem Monitor >Processes >End Process ??

Kinetic Being
November 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
CLI is fine, but why not just >System >Admin >Sytem Monitor >Processes >End Process ??

I agree.

Every fix anyone says is for the CLI, which is very new-user unfriendly.

I understand how its a lot easier to just give a command than guide someone through a GUI, which is why I did just give advice in commands...

but,

It scares people, makes them think that this is the only way to do things, and they think they need to know any of it. It doesn't matter if its faster, or easier (in a way), they don't know that, its just scary to them.

But really, it doesn't matter too much...If they want to learn it they will, if not they can just copy/paste and be done with it...

irish66
November 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ta, Kb. I might ty that kill command sometime.
M