PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] window goes down too far

zero777zero
November 14th, 2008, 01:44 AM
some programs extend down too low and i cant resize them as a result, observe totem and the gimp.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4784/screenshoteg8.png

CholericKoala
November 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Unmaximize them, drag the top down making it smaller, then pull it up farther, then drag the top down again. :)

Shwefty
November 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
On my Gnome, if I hold <Alt> and then click (and drag) on a window, I can drag it around. By doing this, you could feasibly drag the window up enough to reach the bottom of the window, resize, and repeat as many times as necessary.

bswilson
November 14th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Ditto, just resize it from the top. You aren't limited to only resizing from the lower right-hand corner.

zero777zero
November 14th, 2008, 02:31 AM
unfortunately i cant do that. the icon shows up when i click on the edge to drag it, i can make it wider and narrower, but grabbing the top and dragging down does not do ANYTHING

benhur99ph
November 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
That's weird. Whenever this happens to me I usually just resize them from the top.

You mean you can't drag your windows?

CholericKoala
November 14th, 2008, 02:59 AM
what if you right click on the top and click resize?

zero777zero
November 14th, 2008, 04:06 AM
i cant resize downwards, i can drag it from side to side but not downwards, i dont know why

if the program opens up without the weird below screen issue i can resize downwards however. really weird bug.

hictio
November 14th, 2008, 04:10 AM
what if you right click on the top and click resize?

That's right, after doing that, you use the keyboard's arrows to actually make the window smaller.
Select 'Resize', then press the arrow down once, and then the arrow up until you see the bottom of the window on screen.
You'll notice that your windows has changed to the "resize me state" because of the overall blueish tint.

hictio
November 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM
i cant resize downwards, i can drag it from side to side but not downwards, i dont know why

if the program opens up without the weird below screen issue i can resize downwards however. really weird bug.

Have you tried:
- switching the monitor resolution momentarily?
- switching the theme momentarily?
- switching the window border of the theme momentarily?

zero777zero
November 14th, 2008, 04:33 AM
That's right, after doing that, you use the keyboard's arrows to actually make the window smaller.
Select 'Resize', then press the arrow down once, and then the arrow up until you see the bottom of the window on screen.
You'll notice that your windows has changed to the "resize me state" because of the overall blueish tint.

this actually worked for the gimp. i hope the ubuntu team can get this issue sorted out, so i dont have to do this every time i open some of my fav progs

CholericKoala
November 14th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is your screen resolution?

zero777zero
November 15th, 2008, 03:19 AM
1280 x 800