PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need to run a mail server on my web server?

lpoppleton
November 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
A similar question was already asked a couple of years ago in thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=308453, but the answers were not helpful to me because I don't want to run a mail server.

I am running 8.04 server (with desktop added on for ease of use) as a LAMP server. I am writing php programs that require use of php mail() to send out notifications and confirmations from web services. I have no need of a mail server, nor do I want the extra overhead. According to everything I have read in PHP, I should be able to use the mail() function by specifying the appropriate parameters (SMTP, smtp_port and sendmail_from) in php.ini to send the mail out to another mail server on the network. It doesn't work.
With postfix installed, postfix intercepts the messages and they don't go out. I uninstalled postfix but I still cannot get mail out from my php programs.

This has to be a fairly common issue, but I have not been able to find any resolution other than "Install Postfix". Is this really necessary?
Thanks.

wizard10000
November 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, it's really necessary.

In order for a LAMP server to send email it has to communicate with a local MTA (mail transfer agent). Postfix is one, sendmail is another - there are lots more.

The three functions you mention are Windows only. See http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_ref_mail.asp

Good luck ;)

hictio
November 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
You need to enable the service (be sendmail or whatever) but you don't to run a mail server per se, that is, listening to connections over the network, etc.
By simply listening over the loopback you'll be able to send emails from your box*.

*Your box must have a registered domain, a valid PTR record, and valid, non dinamic IP address; or you'll get a lot of bounced emails due to SPAM fighting/ RBL DNS lists.

One option might be, if needed, to configure your mailserver to relay the email to your ISP's SMTP server.

hagen00
November 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
it's not a trainsmash to install Postfix. The "overhead" is totally a non issue. Like sneezing at the ocean.

lpoppleton
November 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thank you Wizard10000 and hictio. I had read the info at the posted php link, but then read another that said you could actually do the windows thing from a linux machine as long as you had a valid smtp server that would accept mail from you. I have been running a similar setup on an AIX box for years and it worked fine, but I think it grabbed the sendmail binaries without actually having to run sendmail as a daemon. I know that installing postfix is no big deal, but didn't want to run it if I didn't need to. Your answer is I need to run a mail server, so I will. Thanks!

kustomjs
November 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
you could use google apps and setup php mailer inside of your directory. so you dont have to worry about setting up spam filters and that kind. because I am using google apps just fine and it works.

Dr Small
November 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
This should be all you need to send mail from php scripts with the mail() function:

drsmall@mycroft:~$ mail
The program 'mail' can be found in the following packages:
* mailx
* mailutils
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

MJN
November 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
If all you want is outgoing mail to support then check out nullmailer (http://untroubled.org/nullmailer/) - it is a bare bones MTA that will relay outbound mail via your ISP's mail server for any mail-enabled app you might have (including PHP mail).

It's basically everything you want and need from a fully-blown MTA like Postfix, without all of the stuff you don't.

Mathew