PDA

View Full Version : Wine WOTLK

Bofur
November 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hi I have WOTLK currently extracted onto my desktop. I execute the program via wine and it loads up. When I come to the EULA screen I can't click accept, only disagree. Someone in a previous post said this:

It's a problem with the HTML controls.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13321

I got it to install by using ies4linux, shudder. http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Installation

Run BC once using ies4's wineprefix to create the proper registry entries, then run the wrath installer using ies4's prefix, then move wrath to your regular wineprefix and create shortcuts as necessary.

$ WINEPREFIX=~/.ies4linux/ie6 wow
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.ies4linux/ie6 /path/to/Wrath/Installer
$ mv ~/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/Program\ Files/Wrath ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Wrath

$ cat ~/bin/wrath

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/<me>/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Wrath\ of\ the\ Lich\ King\ Beta/

wine explorer /desktop=wow,1440x900 Launcher***** "$@"& I have ies4linux installed, but I don't really understand his instructions. I typed the first line into terminal and nothing happened. Any ideas?

Bofur
November 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I get this error:

root@ubuntu:/home/justin# WINEPREFIX=~/.ies4linux/ie6 /home/justin/.ies4linux/ie6/wow/Installer.exe
wine: chdir to /root/.ies4linux/ie6
: No such file or directory
root@ubuntu:/home/justin#

Bofur
November 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Got it to work, just install the new wine and it fixes it! :guitar:

hotballz87
November 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
so the newest wine version fixes the end user license agreement?

i got the game at midnight, and couldnt copy the files. so i copied them to my gf's computer and transferred them through lan to my computer. 3 in the morning now cause i cant get through the freaking eula...

hotballz87
November 13th, 2008, 10:34 AM
ok. i did the wine thing just now. now, the next problem....
" An error occurred while installing DirectX."

what now? anyone else have this problem?

does it work if i take a repair.exe from a computer that has it all installed now and run it? if so, im so doing that

Guberif82
November 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I am trying to do all this and got it to kinda work now its asking for a newer version of window when I get to the install screen

richard@richard-desktop:~$ WINEPREFIX=~/.ies4linux/ie6 wine ~/desktop/InstallWoW.exe
err:service:RPC_Init RpcServerUseProtseq failed with error 1703
err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code 1703

I hit okay for WotLK, then it says
"Unable to install

Wrath of the lich king requires a newer operating system to run.

Windows 2000, XP or newer is required."

And it has the Ream me, manual, support, exit buttons

Guberif82
November 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
So I actually installed wine 1.1.8 and now the EULA finally worked so I am able to play WooT!!

sornen
November 14th, 2008, 01:30 AM
The grey problem was fixed for me after updating wine according to this:

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

JMuffin
November 14th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I followed the directions for upgrading to the newest version of wine, but when I open synaptic it does not prompt me to download any version of wine.

Never mind. Even though I did not upgrade wine or change any of it's settings, I am now able to click agree. Forget I was here.

brink
November 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM
So part of my problem is that I'm still gutsy on this box, so I can only install up to wine 1.0 without building from source, apparently.

Having said that, I was able to get to the installation process and past the eula accept button only by the following:

1. Mount the dvd manually and copy/change ownership of the install files on my hard drive.

2. use ies4linux as my wine installation to be able to click the accept button*. I'm in the process of installing right now. We'll see if I'll be able to actually play the game :)

*this means installing ies4linux and renaming your .wine dir to something else, then linking .ies4linux/ie6 as .wine, then running winecfg and setting the windows version to xp.

windowsareslow
November 14th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I had a problem where I could only read installer.exe and directX directory. Eventually I unmounted and mounted with the -o unhide option:

sudo mount cdrom0 -o unhide

and I can at least see the directories to sudo cp * them to my hard drive.

harrowwhat
November 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
"Unable to install

Wrath of the lich king requires a newer operating system to run.

Windows 2000, XP or newer is required."

And it has the Ream me, manual, support, exit buttons

why does this come up? how do i get past it? please help

Zace
November 16th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I got my collectors edition yesterday and came no further than there.
Followed the guide on here, et voila.

I love you all.

sornen
November 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I also updated wine to the latest version according to:

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

but although the graphics were good, the sound/audio was very choppy on my amd64 system.

Therefore, after installing WOTLK I:

1. Unmarked winehq from the Settings/Repositories/Third Party Software in synaptic package manager.
2. Uninstalled the latest winehq wine.
3. Reinstalled the stable wine 1.0.1 version that comes with Intrepid.
4. Chose ALSA in winecfg

Sound is now fixed on my system.
Remember you may also need to set SoundBufferSize to a value from 50 to 200 eg:

SET SoundBufferSize "150"

in WTF/Config.wtf

:grin:

MagickalHack
February 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Got it to work with a fresh install of hardy [8.04] All I had to do was follow the instructions found http://www.winehq.org/download/deb. Gecko has to be up to date.

cb951303
February 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
It's an old thread but for future ref:

Latest WOTLK runs like a charm in Ubuntu 8.10 with the Wine version 1.0.1 from the Ubuntu repos.