PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing unrar

GL541
November 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi, so I'm trying to install the unrar-free package. I've downloaded these three files:

unrar-free_0.0.1+cvs20060609-1.diff.gz
unrar-free_0.0.1+cvs20060609-1.dsc
unrar-free_0.0.1+cvs20060609.orig.tar.tar

... and I've managed to extract the .tar one, giving me a directory called 'unrar-0.0.1'. Inside that, there are some installation instructions, which aren't working for me.

...The simplest way to compile this package is:

1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source CODE and type `./configure' to configure the package for your system....

I'm not entirely sure where this `source CODE' is, but when I `cd' to `unrar-0.0.1' and type ./configure, I get

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I'll try to upload that `config.log' file if I can. It's rather long. <-- Edit: Looks like I can't upload files, well not to worry!

The other two files aren't behaving very well at all, I'm afraid. The .diff.gv one opens in Archive manager, which gives me the command line output

gzip: /media/USB DISK/unrar-free_0.0.1+cvs20060609-1.diff.gz: not in gzip format

Don't tell me .diff.gz is yet another type of archive for which I need to install yet another package!

Meanwhile, when I double-click the .dsc file, I'm told it's executable but when I select Run nothing happens. And when I select Display, I get a dialogue box asking me to select the `Original file for unrar-free_0.0.1+cvs20060609-1.dsc', followed invariably by an error message about not being able to find any valid signatures.

Any advice would be most welcome. :)

Joeb454
November 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
You should just be able to run
sudo apt-get install unrar-free

tuxxy
November 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
As Joeb says install it from the repos, also unrar-free is included with ubuntu-restrcited-extras I think which should be installed on any new system imo as it includes flash, java, unrar, codecs etc

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Duck2006
November 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Load it from your Synaptic Package Manager.

System >> Administration >> Synaptic Package Manager

oldos2er
November 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM
"checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

You need to install the package build-essential in order to compile source code.

GL541
November 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

"checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

You need to install the package build-essential in order to compile source code.

Ok, so I've downloaded the files

* [build-essential_11.1.dsc]
* [build-essential_11.1.tar.gz]

... but how do I install this package? Won't I just get the same error again: "C compiler cannot create executables"? :-k

Simian Man
November 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
As others said, use the package manager, don't fight it! Don't try to install tarballs if you do not have to.

zvacet
November 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
sudo apt-get install build-essential

tarps87
November 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
If you have the internet of the computer do as Joeb454 said
If you have the internet of another computer all the packages can be found at http://packages.ubuntu.com/
They are all .deb file so it a click and install process.
Is there any reason you are trying to compile the code?

GL541
November 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
If you have the internet of the computer do as Joeb454 said
If you have the internet of another computer all the packages can be found at http://packages.ubuntu.com/
They are all .deb file so it a click and install process.

Yeah, I don't have the internet on that computer. At that address all I find are the same files I mentioned above.

Is there any reason you are trying to compile the code?I just want to extract some rar's.

tarps87
November 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Follow this link:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/unrar-free
at the bottom of the page there is a small table titled "Download unrar-free"
if you have a 32bit install download the i386 one if it is 64bit download the amd64 one, if you aren't sure which version go for the 32bit download. Now select a download mirror, the file should end with .deb, double click this and click install

This is assuming you are using Ubuntu 8.10 if you are using Ubuntu 7.04 use this link:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/unrar-free