PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python and QT4 Designer

thornmastr
November 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a tutorial teaching how to use QT4 Designer with Python. There are a number of very good tutorials for QT3, but I do not want to drop back from QT4.I have no problem designing the form(s) using QT4 designer; including signals and slots; but......I am not even certain why the form has to be saved as a .ui file rather than a .frm file. I have no idea how to generate the python shells I can use to fill in the code for my defined events and the lack of a really good tutorial or two is certainly placing me under a real handicap.

Any pointers, literally, to some tutorials would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

SabreWolfy
November 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I'm also looking for this kind of a tutorial. I've spent much time trying to find a good IDE and toolkit designer for Python. There seem to be plenty of IDE programs, but fewer designers. I tried wxPython, but that requires writing the GUI code by hand. There is also wxGlade which I'm looking at. I have Eric and QT4 designer but have no idea how to use them or get them to work together. Is QT4 the best route to go? PyQt? wxPython? Tkinter?

snova
November 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I am uncertain as to what the question is, but if it helps, know that you need to use pyuic4, which "compiles" UI files to Python code.

OutOfReach
November 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM
It saves it as a .ui file, because Qt is available to a number of languages so it provides a universal format instead of just one language.

pyuic4 is most commonly used for converting .ui into .py, using it was explained in a book I was reading about Python + Qt4. But basically, you just run it in the directory containing the .ui files. (Note it also works for other Qt-related files such as .qrc resources files). I think pyuic is including with the PyQt packages.

thornmastr
November 14th, 2008, 01:52 AM
These two replies were most helpful. I used pyuic4 to generate a .py file, however, I think this leads me to what I hope will give me the real answer to this quest. This generated file makes no mention at all of the Slots and Signals I am using. For instance, I have two buttons where I have defined a function to associate with each button. I have defined the function(s) as slots. Now, what tool, if any, generates the python shell specifying all Slots and Signals in use. If I have to generate that file myself, is there any documentation outlining the process.

Thank you for all the assistance given to date.

Robert

OutOfReach
November 14th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I am very positive that the signals and slots (defined in the designer) are automatically connected by the .py file that was generated.