PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] some business compatibility problems

Eggz Ackley
November 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
OK I just started with Ubuntu as my son recommended it. I find it easy to use but have some problems. I am a business owner and an insurance agent. Our main server is Linux and the other 15 machines are Windows 2000 or XP.
I have not been able to use my (1)Quickbooks program need for my five companies and also not able to install my (2)Goldmine contact software on Ubuntu. I use VNC to a workstation to get around that for now. I can not find drivers for my (3)Dell 3010cn printer and (4)can not seem to get it to work across the web with Samba. (5) I can not get my remote security system PICO 2000 to work with Ubuntu and (6) I can not quote insurance or endorse policies with Hartford, Progressive and Zurich as they all require Internet Explorer 5.0 or better and (7) the Bluetooth program does not allow me to transfer files both ways from my cell phone.
All other things work fine, but I need these seven items to conduct business. That's how I make money! Can you help?

chrisod
November 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Go back to Windows. If you have mission critical business applications that require Windows you don't need to be trying to force them to run on Linux. It's possible you can get some of them to run under wine, but it really isn't worth the headache. You could also run Windows in a virtual machine on Linux and it will all probably work ok, but likely slower than just running Windows natively.

Really, Linux is not the answer to every problem. Go back to Windows.

dlmoak
November 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM
If I had as many Windows apps that I had to run as you do, I would follow chrisod's advice and run Windows at work. I run Windows in a VirtualBox at work so that I can run Quickbooks - and it actually runs faster than under XP alone, but with all those other apps, it won't be worth it.

Kellemora
November 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi EA

I'm a business owner also!

I keep one XP machine just for QuickBooks and other proprietary software related to shipping.

I'm just beginning to look into an accounting program called PostBooks to replace QuickBooks. But I'm still stuck with being compatible with vendor supplied equipment.

However, about 95% of our business and all the office machines are now running Ubuntu and production is way up by getting away from Windows on nearly everything else.

I would be sunk completely if I were in your business, because we DON'T run IE here for ANYTHING. A bank I dealt with demanded we use IE, well I just demanded them out the door and went with a better more forward looking bank.

Perhaps you could change the vendors you sell for to more upscale vendors? Just knowing they Cow toe to Mickey$oft would turn me off from using them!

TTUL
Gary

Eggz Ackley
December 2nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thank you all very much. It helped me make my decisions.
I am keeping my server Linux, my business workstations Windows XP
and using Ubuntu with Wine at home connecting with VNC to use my business computers.

JUST NEED ONE THING NOW
My Pico 2000 security loads fine with Wine, and connects across the web to the cameras OK, BUT I get no actual video. It just says connected.
What do I need to load to view the video?