PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Dual Booting with WIndows XP

newbpanda
November 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have the XP discs lying around somewhere but not sure if I've got 'em all. Anyhow, a friend ICQed me and was talking about Ubuntu. He said his guildmates had transfered to Ubuntu (he didn't mention I had first mentioned it to him) and they didn't miss XP that much.

When I tried to get back on Windows after re-installing Ubuntu (I had forgotten my user information or password), the computer just sits there when I instruct it to load from the hard drive its Windows partition.

Here's how it works: Bios loads, I press F12 before the bar fills up. Then I select the hard drive from a list that also lists the floppy & CD-ROM as possible bootables. Next I select "Windows XP."

EDIT: How do I get WINE to recognize my 3D card? I have a GEFORCE 6200 with Direct X 9.0c.

handydan918
November 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have the XP discs lying around somewhere but not sure if I've got 'em all. Anyhow, a friend ICQed me and was talking about Ubuntu. He said his guildmates had transfered to Ubuntu (he didn't mention I had first mentioned it to him) and they didn't miss XP that much.

When I tried to get back on Windows after re-installing Ubuntu (I had forgotten my user information or password), the computer just sits there when I instruct it to load from the hard drive its Windows partition.

Here's how it works: Bios loads, I press F12 before the bar fills up. Then I select the hard drive from a list that also lists the floppy & CD-ROM as possible bootables. Next I select "Windows XP."
How did you install Ubu? Did you install GRUB Where?

EDIT: How do I get WINE to recognize my 3D card? I have a GEFORCE 6200 with Direct X 9.0c.Not gonna happen. Directx is for windows. It is a (surprise!) DIRECT interface with the hardware and will not work in another environment besides windows. The nvidia driver for linux supports 3D, though.

Bartender
November 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
OK, I'm familiar with the BIOS buttons like F12 or whatever that let you halt the boot process and pick a device.
Questions:
Are you sure Windows partition is still there?
What happens if you just let the boot process run? Do you not get to a DOS-looking screen (which is GRUB) giving you choices such as Ubuntu kernel so-and-so, Ubuntu recovery mode, and Windows XP bootloader (or something similar)?
Can you put the Ubuntu LiveCD back in again, boot from it, go to System>Administration>Gnome Partitioner and take a look at the partitions? Make sure XP partition is still there?

eternalnewbee
November 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM
EDIT: How do I get WINE to recognize my 3D card
You should go to: Main Menu > System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, and activate your graphic card from there.

caljohnsmith
November 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
How about booting your Live CD, open a terminal (applications > accessories > terminal), and post the output of:

sudo fdisk -lu
Also, for each of the drives fdisk lists, like sda, sdb, etc, please post the output of:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda count=1 2>/dev/null | strings | grep -ie grub -ie "missing operating system"
So replace "sda" above with each of your drives. And finally, for each command above that returns "GRUB", please post:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=1 skip=1049 count=2 2>/dev/null | hexdump | awk '{print $2}'
And replace sda with the drives that previously returned "GRUB". That will greatly clarify what your setup is like.

newbpanda
November 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM
O
Questions:
Are you sure Windows partition is still there?
What happens if you just let the boot process run? Do you not get to a DOS-looking screen (which is GRUB) giving you choices such as Ubuntu kernel so-and-so, Ubuntu recovery mode, and Windows XP bootloader (or something similar)?

Well, it used to list two Windows XP options (the second one didn't work) and then there was an option for Ubuntu. Now, after a lot of partitioning & re-partitioning it is as you described above.

I think as it was installing Ubuntu, I read "deleting conflicting operating system files" or something like that pop up on the screen.

I managed to find a thread that said something about the same card I've got so now I have NVIDIA running in my Ubuntu partition. I do know I've got a ton of software on the computer's primary hard drive (an 80GB it came with) and I didn't touch my secondary hard drive while I was partitioning (320GB). I might as well uninstall a bunch of that junk. I can look at the contents of my Windows stuff on my hard drives... can I use a program on Ubunutu to uninstall them???

When I get home from my social club, I'll post my partition info.

How did you install Ubu? Did you install GRUB Where?

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu. I think it was from the official website. It came as a ISO file & I used "IsoBuster" trail version to make it into a CD-ROM.

newbpanda
November 13th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Okay.

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders, total 156250000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd0f4738c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 80325 35407259 17663467+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda4 * 35407260 156248189 60420465 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda5 80388 273104 96358+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 273168 35407259 17567046 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x1d170347

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 63 625137344 312568641 7 HPFS/NTFS

No results for the second test suggested by CJS.

newbpanda
November 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I re-installed Windows XP, now my computer can't connect to the internet or get back on ubunutu... which stinks.

newbpanda
November 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Okay, so first I installed Windows XP then I installed Ubuntu again. Only problem is I can't use internet while using XP because it doesn't recognize my ethernet or the driver is not installed.

No biggie I can just surf using Ubuntu & use XP for just gaming. No biggie.