PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Issues

Jhevon
November 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Hello All,

After much deliberation, I finally upgraded my Ubuntu Studio. However, now an error message shows up every time it boots, something about it being unable to find the file

file/usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/Human.xml

Moreover, I have lost some functionality that I had before, including one of my favorite features in Ubuntu, the ability to mount Windows so I can view my Windows file from Ubuntu.

Can this be fixed?

Regards,
Jhevon

mapes12
November 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
After much deliberation, I finally upgraded my Ubuntu Studio.

1. What version did you upgrade to from what previous version.
2. Did you do the upgrade through Update Manager or as a fresh install?

the ability to mount Windows so I can view my Windows file from Ubuntu.

This may help: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

Jhevon
November 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
1. What version did you upgrade to from what previous version.i upgraded to Ubuntu Studio 8.10

i believe I was running 7.10 before.

2. Did you do the upgrade through Update Manager or as a fresh install?i upgraded through the Update Manager

This may help: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindowsthanks, i will check this out

EDIT: My bad, it seems that the Update Manager installed Hardy Heron, that is, Ubuntu Studio 8.04.1

Which brings me to question, how long after a new version of Ubuntu is released will the Update Manager will get it?

Jhevon
November 23rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
I discovered even more things wrong a few days ago. The sound doesn't work in firefox, neither will Ubuntu play rmvb files anymore. My realplayer 11 stopped working and it doesn't play them in any other universal media player. On top of that, it won't shut down, or even restart. I have to hold down the power button to turn off the machine. There might be other things wrong that I haven't discovered yet.

Why is my computer acting so strange?!

I guess the moral is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My Ubuntu was great before, but now this upgraded installation is becoming a real pain