PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating firefox symbolic link

drakeman007
November 12th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Hello, probably this is a dumb question but i want to create a symbolic link of firefox in my desktop using command line, im putting this

$ ln -s /usr/bin/firefox ~/Desktop/firefox
The shell makes the link in the desktop, but with a white page icon and when i double click it it say if i want to run the program in the terminal or shell, ..
My question is!, the shorcut cannot be created automatically using ln with the firefox icon and when i double click the link i want the ubuntu automatically open the program(firefox) without asking to choose in where i want to run the program......????

Thanks in advance.

starcannon
November 12th, 2008, 04:37 AM
What desktop are you using? Gnome, KDE, XFCE?

drakeman007
November 12th, 2008, 04:45 AM
What desktop are you using? Gnome, KDE, XFCE?

im using gnome!
thanks!
something i miss when creating the ln_?

thanks

Shwefty
November 12th, 2008, 04:53 AM
All I had to do was to right click on the desktop, go to Create Launcher.

Then, Name is Firefox, Command is Firefox.

In 8.10, it pulled in my icon for me.

Shwefty
November 12th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Haha, sorry bud, I just saw that you said "in command line".

Oh well.

drakeman007
November 12th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Haha, sorry bud, I just saw that you said "in command line".

Oh well.

Thats right! but thanks anyways dude, any help always is great, now i need the command line solution:D

starcannon
November 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I can not find the command line solution for your situation(I looked and looked); however, my however works same as an ln-s, at this point I don't know.

Out of curiosity, why does it need to be from command line?

drakeman007
November 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I can not find the command line solution for your situation(I looked and looked); however, my however works same as an ln-s, at this point I don't know.

Out of curiosity, why does it need to be from command line?

Because i want to learn most things through command line, like i said in a previous thread, the gui is easy, is like M$, and i want to handle most of thing in linux through command line, i already know how to do it in the Gui!
Thanks