PDA

View Full Version : [other] What Happens when I run sudo apt-get install <software> ??

pietrop
November 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Hello everybody.

I have a curiosity about what happens when I run a sudo apt-get install <software> command.

For instance I ran
sudo apt-get install nedit and Ubuntu downloaded it and installed it, and now if I run nedit in a shell it works fine and all.

What I'd like to know is where does Ubuntu specifies that the command nedit is going to run that specific software(in the .bashrc???), where all the install files go and stuff like that.

Is there a page that I could read about it??

Any help or explanation is much appreciated!!

Thanks,

pietro

Living2007
November 12th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I'm not entire sure i know everything that your asking but, Ubuntu know what software you want when you type the command because when the 'apt' or Software Manager searches for software on a set of site provided, and updates it everytime you open "Add/Remove Programs" or type the command "sudo apt-get ..."

jimmy the saint
November 12th, 2008, 03:35 AM
The software "Apt" pulls the software from the repositories (which are like free warehouses of software) and installs it. It also tracks it so that when you want to remove or upgrade the software, it can do it automatically. Think of it as a buddy that finds, downloads, installs, upgrades, tracks, uninstalls and tracks all of your software for you whenever you ask him to.

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
apt-get install is actually the standard graphical and command line way of installing applications in ubuntu.
Add/remove and synaptic are front ends to apt, they provide a grapical interface to work with.
Apt just installs things more directly

-Zeus-
November 12th, 2008, 03:43 AM
most files are installed to /usr/bin. To see a list of all folders that have installed items, you can type this:

echo $PATH
This will tell you everywhere that the shell interpreter (dash) looks for to start a program

pietrop
November 12th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks All!!

It's becoming more clear...

@-Zeus-
Is it then correct to say that whatever software I install (put) in one of the folders listed in the $PATH variable gets automatically picked up by the shell interpreter??
By the way what is this shell interpreter (dash)??

Thanks a lot for the quick answers!!

Cheers

pietro

drs305
November 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
... where all the install files go and stuff like that.

You can see where a packages files are installed by running the following:

whereis packagename
For example, "whereis gimp" returns:
gimp: /usr/bin/gimp /etc/gimp /usr/lib/gimp /usr/share/gimp /usr/share/man/man1/gimp.1.gz

You can learn the run command with:

which packagename
Example: which gimp
/usr/bin/gimp

You can also see a package's files by opening synaptic, highlighting the package, right clicking, "Properties", Installed Files.

zvacet
November 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
If you want to know how apt works go here (http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals) and you will find manual.All about where are instaled packages and other things you can find here. (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/)

pietrop
November 12th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks a lot for all these answers, they are really useful!!

I'll get my head around now, and read through the docs Zvacet suggested!!

Cheers guys

pietro