PDA

View Full Version : Do you like PC cases with or without doors?

bartos
November 12th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I know we all don't like cases with Windows, so lets get that joke over with.:lolflag:

I prefer a case like my Antec 900 with no doors so cd/dvd drive access is simple and media readers are up front too.I have seen some cases with small spring loaded flaps too that I think would get caught up in the drive trays when closing.

My desk even had a door covering the Computer bay and I didn't install it.

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
My desktop PC has spring-loaded flaps over the CD/DVD drive bays. What makes me nervous is that one of the DVD writers is one I'd rather use the "eject" button to load a disk in preference to pushing the tray in manually, which could conceivable push the tray out of alignment. The trouble is that the flaps make it difficult to access the eject button when they're open...

handy
November 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
My full tower has no cover, let alone doors.

It has 3 drive drawers in it & DVD burner & a fan speed control filling 5/6 of the 5-1/4" drive bays.

It was an AT case which I converted to ATX, has an upside down PSU with the cable coming out the wrong side, kind of looks like a local Oz black snake, I couldn't put the case cover on the thing if I wanted to. :lolflag:

There are also a couple of serial drives sitting on the desk & the firewire/usb/sound interface also sits on the desk.

It is ugly but its been with me for years, & seen a variety of motherboards & other internals over that time.

MikeBrown
November 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
My desktop PC has spring-loaded flaps over the CD/DVD drive bays. What makes me nervous is that one of the DVD writers is one I'd rather use the "eject" button to load a disk in preference to pushing the tray in manually, which could conceivable push the tray out of alignment. The trouble is that the flaps make it difficult to access the eject button when they're open...

That's like the PC case that I'm using right now for one of my Ubuntu installs! I always hated that the spring-loaded doors happened to cover up the eject button on my DVD drives. It was a pre-fab HP that I got years ago. Now it's been re-assembled using most of the original parts, except only one of the two DVD drives made it (Which were only used long enough to install the OS then was removed to go into another computer).

Gotta love re-using old computers as your backup or download computer...

Paqman
November 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Mine has stupid little doors over the fron USB/audio sockets, but one covering the optical drive would probably drive me nuts.

tuxsheadache
November 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Why would I want a door on my computer? Crazy concept.. I can happily say that I also own an Antec 900 case. I chose it for two reasons:
1. They managed to put n00b in the product description
2. It's such a big simple case. It has flash little LEDs and see through windows, but it has no special clips or easily release bays, it's a proper case that needs a screwdriver to get into. To change a hard drive you have to unscrew 14 screws!
Doors, pfft! Silly accessory.

gn2
November 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Years ago I bought a very expensive and pretty Coolermaster ATC-210 (http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/coolermaster_atc210/Images/CoolerMaster%20001.jpg) case.

The door lasted only a few weeks before I removed it because it was a total nuisance.

I will never buy a case with a door on the front ever again.

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
That's like the PC case that I'm using right now for one of my Ubuntu installs! I always hated that the spring-loaded doors happened to cover up the eject button on my DVD drives. It was a pre-fab HP that I got years ago. Now it's been re-assembled using most of the original parts, except only one of the two DVD drives made it (Which were only used long enough to install the OS then was removed to go into another computer).

Gotta love re-using old computers as your backup or download computer...

My main desktop is by Compaq (part of HP these days) so it's possible that some of the same influences were at work when the two machines were designed.
My old Win98SE desktop (not in use at the moment due to it being "tired" [unreliability from old age and neglect], which rules it out as a print server for my other machines) is one by Digital, and doesn't have any doors or flaps over the CD drive. It's never been quite up to the task of having a CD writer, let alone a DVD writer.

3rdalbum
November 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I used to own a computer with the little flaps covering the optical drive. I didn't mind it, and it didn't cause any problems with me pushing the tray in.

But I went to a computer enthusiast's house and saw his PC with a window in the side, LEDs and a door covering the optical drives. I thought the window was excessive, but I thought the door made the machine look much neater when closed, and more hardcore when opened :-)

So, when I built my current PC, I bought a case with a door. When I'm using one or more optical drives, the door does help shield me from the sound. (why no rubber gromits in the drive bays? Who knows?)

MikeBrown
November 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Why would I want a door on my computer? Crazy concept.. I can happily say that I also own an Antec 900 case. I chose it for two reasons:
1. They managed to put n00b in the product description
2. It's such a big simple case. It has flash little LEDs and see through windows, but it has no special clips or easily release bays, it's a proper case that needs a screwdriver to get into. To change a hard drive you have to unscrew 14 screws!
Doors, pfft! Silly accessory.

That is a nice looking case, but could you point me to a place to read said description with n00b in it? That's just too funny!

tuxsheadache
November 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16013)Antec-Nine-Hundred-Gaming-case---Black-full.aspx
Whatever they said after the word was virtually unnecessary, I was sold.

MikeBrown
November 13th, 2008, 02:34 AM
That's just awesome! Thanks for pointing me to that site!

Frak
November 13th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Mine has a handy front Carbon-style door with an device tray (removable) on the top.

Love it.