PDA

View Full Version : Careers

BinaryDigit
December 2nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
So what do you all do? Work? School? etc? I'm a tech support engineer at a company that creates character generators for major TV stations around the world (ESPN, Fox, all local stations in the US) etc. It's pretty cool as I get to travel sometimes, and learn alot about broadcasting that I never learned before. I think I'd enjoy my job more if it wasn't tech support, but maybe I can move up.
So what do you all do? :-D

atoponce
December 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
So what do you all do? Work? School? etc? I'm a tech support engineer at a company that creates character generators for major TV stations around the world (ESPN, Fox, all local stations in the US) etc. It's pretty cool as I get to travel sometimes, and learn alot about broadcasting that I never learned before. I think I'd enjoy my job more if it wasn't tech support, but maybe I can move up.
So what do you all do? :-D
I am a data engineer and computer programmer at a market research company called Venture Data (http://www.venturedata.com). We handle political, media related, business based, and many other types of questionnaires for clients all over the continental U.S. My job is to program the survey for our call centers, set up the sample, and work on data processing.

We have a number of different servers setup, but mainly we work with two of them. A Windows 2000 server and a RedHat server. The workstations are Windows XP Pro. We use PuTTY to SSH into RedHat to get 95% of our work done. The Windows server is only there to host some intranet websites and hold data from projects we did several years ago. Now, all the projects are handled on Linux.

We are phasing away from the Windows world and into the Linux world. Unfortunately, we will always be using Windows workstations. As such many of the software programs and scripts that we use are Windows-based. It is my responsibility, in my spare time, to convert these Quick Basic scripts and batch files from Windows to Linux.

Lastly, if there is anytime left, I code a great deal of documentation and training manuals for new employees and soon, I will be doing a complete rehaul of our website. Also, with the aid of the system admin, I have setup an intranet blog hosted on an Ubuntu server to be used as a resource for coding practices, shortcuts, tips, tricks and data services standards.

I'm pretty busy, and I love my job.

On top of my career, I am finishing up two undergraduate degrees at WSU (http://www.weber.edu)in Mathematics and Computer Science. I only have a year-and-a-half to two years left. Finally.

NOTE: We currently employ 4 female data engineers/computer programmers. Out of only 20, that isn't a bad percentage. Of course, in our call centers, there are hundreds of females.