PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with flash on 8.10

chirpilittle
November 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I recently upgraded to ubuntu 8.10 and tried it out for the first time. Then I realised I needed to install flash player again.

I went to the synaptic package manager and uninstalled the old version of flash. Downloaded the new flash player ( .tar.gz ) from the Adobe site, but when I tried to install it gave me this error:

ERROR: Your architecture, \'x86_64\', is not supported by the
Adobe Flash Player installer.

any ideas on how to fix it?

mapes12
November 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Downloading binaries can be hit and miss. I had a similar issue. I solved it by pointing Firefox to a site where I knew Flash would be required then let Firefox handle the package management. Close down then restart Firefox and it worked.

I would recommend abandoning the tar file you have downloaded until you have tried other automated options.

MasterSander
November 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
You probably downloaded the wrong file, you need a 64 bit version and not a 32 bit version

chirpilittle
November 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Downloading binaries can be hit and miss. I had a similar issue. I solved it by pointing Firefox to a site where I knew Flash would be required then let Firefox handle the package management. Close down then restart Firefox and it worked.

I would recommend abandoning the tar file you have downloaded until you have tried other automated options.

I actually tried that, but it always directs me to the adobe site and instructs me to install flash manually

chirpilittle
November 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
You probably downloaded the wrong file, you need a 64 bit version and not a 32 bit version

Hmm... there isn't an option to download a 32 or 64 bit version. It's the same file for both