PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clueless - External Hard Drive (used to store Windows files)

WileyGaia
November 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hi - I am going about installing Ubuntu on a new desktop machine. I have NEVER touched anything Linux! First question: I have backed up all files on my old Windows PC I want to keep (photos, xls, docs, pdfs etc) onto an external hard drive. Will I be able to access these files when I "plug in (USB)" the external hard drive to my new Ubuntu machine?

mtausig
November 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
most probably yes.
But you can try it: Download the ubuntu installtion CD, boot into the live mode and just plug in your external drive.

mbzn
November 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
hi,

good move there!
i have never had a problem with external drives in ubuntu

try booting the live cd first, it should give you a good idea of what you're getting youself into...

good luck.

richg
November 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
When I use to use 98SE I did that. No problems. Since I knew Linux had some hardware issues back in 2003, my first Linux PC was a Linux configured PC I bought from Walmart. I would switch the external drive between PCs with no issues.
I just had to make sure when using OO to save the document as a DOC so the 98 PC word application would see the document.

One thing that has bothered me is I did not format the drive before using it with Linux. Did not do any partitioning either. Everything is still working just fine so I cannot figure out how come I do not have the issues many other Linux people do. Go figure.

Rich

Yashiro
November 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Will I be able to access these files when I "plug in (USB)" the external hard drive to my new Ubuntu machine?Yes.