PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for a T-Mobile phone that works for USB file transfer

catamorphism
November 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hello,
After having a horrible time getting my Motorola Razr V3 to work with Ubuntu, I'm looking for a new T-Mobile phone (yes, I could get any phone and unlock it, but this way it's free). Does anyone have experience with using any of the following phones with Ubuntu?

Motorola Active
Motorola RIZR Z3 (something tells me that any Motorola phone is bad news, but you never know)
Motorola W490
Nokia 6263
Samsung Beat
Samsung t439

These all should be phones that have both cameras and music players, so I really just care about being able to transfer pictures off the phone and music onto the phone, over USB (my computer doesn't have Bluetooth). I use Gutsy but am willing to upgrade if necessary.

I've googled for all of these phones with "ubuntu" and not turned up much, so if anyone can say that they've used one of these and have successfully transferred files over USB, that would help me a lot. Thanks!

softtower
November 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
My older Razr worked just fine. I'd expect newer moto phones to be no worse.

catamorphism
November 12th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Well, thanks, but as I said, my Motorola Razr V3 didn't work at all (after hours trying to get moto4lin to work), so before I bought another Motorola phone, I would want to have a specific recommendation from someone who has gotten a specific model number to work with Ubuntu.

Bufke
November 29th, 2008, 05:38 AM
The Motorola W490 works fine with a memory card in Ubuntu, just make sure to save the pictures on the memory card.

The W450 does not work, which is odd, because it seems like a normal usb mass storage device. The phone constantly resets in Ubuntu breaking the connection /:

mscuerman
December 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
I just had great success using my T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 to transfer files via USB. I have a Windows machine that is connected to the internet, and a Ubuntu (newly installed) laptop. I set the phone to act as a disk drive and transferred files I downloaded on the Windows machine to the phone, then from the phone to the Ubuntu laptop. No probs, even for a complete noob like me. HTH.

Mark