PDA

View Full Version : Quality Control and Assurance(or lack there of)

open_coder
November 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM
A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about how KDE4 seemed to have plenty of bugs. And then i found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30467 earlier today. This bug is one of the bugs that I was blogging about literally two weeks ago. Its a three year old bug. AND IT STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED. I can't understand this at all. Is the plugin for AIM no longer supported? Does Kopete just not care. I have been using Pidgin in KDE forever now simply because kopete hasn't fixed this.

Any input?

igknighted
November 11th, 2008, 01:05 AM
This is open source... so the simple answer is no one has looked into the bug that knows the answer. No way of knowing if people aren't looking into the bug, or if the solution is simply not known.

Honestly though, this is nothing new. Bugs in all software (windows, mac, linux, and more) often sit for years like this.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, the telepathy framework is soon going to be the main instant messenger framework for linux, so this should be solved. I believe that kopete will someday use telepathy, but in the meantime Psi should give you a decent QT based preview.

EDIT: That is a forum post, not a bug report. Developers don't read forums, only bug reports. So if no one reported it... it wont get fixed.

init1
November 11th, 2008, 02:21 AM
A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about how KDE4 seemed to have plenty of bugs. And then i found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30467 earlier today. This bug is one of the bugs that I was blogging about literally two weeks ago. Its a three year old bug. AND IT STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED. I can't understand this at all. Is the plugin for AIM no longer supported? Does Kopete just not care. I have been using Pidgin in KDE forever now simply because kopete hasn't fixed this.

Any input?
Yeah, expect there to be plenty of bugs in every Ubuntu release, but don't expect bugs in forum posts to be fixed. Report them to launchpad.