PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] odd little icon problem

person8451
November 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
This is not exactly an emergency, but it is a little odd.

In Intrepid 8.10, the little red circle-ish icon in the top right corner changes whenever I start up Pidgin instant messenger. Instead of a red circle-ish thing, it becomes a green dot. It still does the same thing it did before, (click on it to switch users or shut down etc), so it's not really a huge deal, just sort of annoying.

It does not change when I open any other application, only with Pidgin.

I had to remove compiz, since apparently it hates my computer now, so I don't know if removing compiz is related to this problem.

I tried right-clicking and changing preferences for it, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Patrick793
November 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
That is normal. Pidgin is integrated into the fast-user-switch app.

ciscosurfer
November 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
disregard

houbysoft.xf.cz
November 9th, 2008, 11:48 PM
The green dot is pidgin's way of showing you your IM status, so I think your problem is that it is displayed "over" the poweroff button?

person8451
November 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
It doesn't seem to be over it--it replaces it.

This is a screenshot (actually, two of them), with pidgin on and off.

OutOfReach
November 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yes, as the above posters have said. The Pidgin status is now integrated into the fast-user-switcher applet.
(Pretty useless feature if you ask me)

person8451
November 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Neat.

Maybe in 9.04 they can make it so when you start Firefox, the Trash Bin icon turns into the FF logo for no sane reason but is still actually the Trash Bin.

I would just love to hear the reasoning behind this one. It's not a big deal, I would just love to know how this makes sense to anyone not currently on acid.

ciscosurfer
November 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Neat.

Maybe in 9.04 they can make it so when you start Firefox, the Trash Bin icon turns into the FF logo for no sane reason but is still actually the Trash Bin.

I would just love to hear the reasoning behind this one. It's not a big deal, I would just love to know how this makes sense to anyone not currently on acid.I can't pretend to know their rationale, but from a user's perspective, it saves on panel space. Pidgin probably also has a few tie-ins that are directly related to the GNOME desktop environment that allow for this togetherness. The dbus/Pidgin plugin comes to mind. From a GTD perspective, it also seems to make sense. At least it does for me.

bryncoles
November 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Neat.

I would just love to hear the reasoning behind this one. It's not a big deal, I would just love to know how this makes sense to anyone not currently on acid.

i've nothing productive to say, just that this made me smile!

itchanddino
November 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
How do I disable this "feature"? The red triangle for "away" is ugly and doesn't make sense. Thanks!