PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which Skype download?

fredfelter
November 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Thinkpad T22, Ubuntu 8.04

After mucking around with sound settings to try to get my mic to work and making numerous changes I finally lost all audio function and in total frustration abandoned that Ubuntu install and did a fresh one. Now I have my Sound Recorder working so it´s time to install Skype. I want to do this right the first time and not get caught up in the previous vicious circle of trying one ¨solution¨ after another.

Which source for Skype is the most reliable or are they equal: Synaptic via Medibuntu, the download from the Skype site or one of the Terminal implemented installations?

Any other tips?
Thanks in advance.

Pagh
November 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
When I reinstall my system (happens every 2 months or so when I break something - usually X) I always download Skype directly from the following url: http://skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/ where I just choose the Ubuntu 7.4+. Then click save file and when my browser is done with the download I go to the directory where the downloaded package is located and double-click on it. This will start the gDebi package installer and the rest is easy as cake. This have always worked very well for me.

So my point is: don't bother with going through the repositories just do a direct download.

Good luck