PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing windows drivers

monty40
November 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
How do you install window drivers for wireless network Card Adapter?

Thanks

cariboo
November 9th, 2008, 10:53 PM
MAke sure the live cd is available in System-->Administration-->Software Sources then go to System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager and search for ndisgtk, when the package has been found right click on it and mark for installation, this will also mark ndiswrapper-utils and Ndiswrapper-common for installation. After installation go to System-->Administrations-->Wireless Driver, or something to that effect. I don't have it installed as my usb device is detected and installed automagically.

Jim

abooks
November 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I'm trying to install two things on my desktop, which I just converted from Vista (feh!) to 8.10. One is the verizon broadband dongle USB 720, and the other is my printer, a HP Office jet K80. Do I need to pitch both out the window and buy something that Ubuntu will see, or are there drivers for them?

Thanks from the rankest of noobs.

cariboo
November 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I can't help you with the verizon dongle without a lot more information, but your HP printer should be easy to setup. Go to System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager and search for hplip-gui, then install it. This will walk you through the setup of your printer. HP is one of the most well supported printer manufacturers. I've got an old HP Laserjet 5P that I can setup with my eyes closed.

As for your dongle, can you post the output of:

lsusb

and

sudo lshw -C network

in your next post. The above commands must be done in a Applications-->Accressories-->Terminal.

Jim

anomad
November 11th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I am having similar wireless issues. I upgraded to 8.whatever last night from 6 something and now neither my USB card or my old d-link plug in card work?

They both worked automagically before? ubuntu sees them when I do a port scan thing, but internet no workie.

I am having to switch back and forth between puppy to research then try things.

I don't know how to add the devices as network devices? How do I tell ubuntu to "use this device"?

abooks
November 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
OK Cariboo, I finally got the codes you asked about, and a machine and place I can send them.

First, the device name:

BUS 004, Device 002 ID1410:2110 Novatel Wireless Ovation U720/MCD3000

Next, the analysis:

description: Ethernet interface
product: 82562V 10/100 Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:19:d1:37:b6:ef
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=0.3.3.3-k6 firmware=1.1-2 latency=0 link=no module=e1000e multicast=yes port=twisted pair
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 56:a6:78:2e:fd:c7
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

Thanks for your patience!

Walt