PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system freezes during boot - no startup sound

benzis
November 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I downloaded Ubuntu and burned a CD. Chose the "restart and demo without installing" option (on my XP machine) and Ubuntu loaded and ran beautifully.
Then I tried booting the CD on my Vista machine. At the language screen I couldn't choose the language -- apparently my USB keyboard was not yet recognized. After 30 secs the boot sequence continued, I saw the Ubuntu logo, then the screen froze with the logo, didn't react t0 ctrl-alt-del. I have a Core 2 Duo CPU and NVidia graphics card. (And no, I didn't get any startup sound, either.)

Can someone please help me out? Thanks!

Benzi

mapes12
November 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds like your Vista machine doesn't like the Ubuntu live CD.

If your windoze machine has critical data stored on it please be very careful. If you want to play around with Ubuntu ahead of a full migration to Ubuntu then my advice is to get a cheap base unit and use a KVM box to switch between the same hardware on different boxes. Here's the link - http://www.aboutdebian.com/linux.htm Look under "The Safe Way To Play"

And welcome to the revolution!

benzis
November 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the warning! I think I'll stop trying to use it on my Vista machine, and try it on a new (OS-less) machine instead of laying out the bug bucks for a Microsoft OS.