PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to install programs (again)

geomcewan
November 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I cannot install programs using the Add/Remove as I get an error message stating: Dependency is not satisfiable:
When trying to install my graphics driver the installation package gives the error: must be run as root.
I dont seem to be able to copy this file into the root folder.
The Add/Remove program doesn't seem to be able to search cd drives or folders, but this may be immaterial as I dont have an internet connection, and it seems I have to be online to install anything. which will be tricky when trying to install drivers for my wifi card!

dracayr
November 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Don't use the Add/Remove app if you don't have an internet connection. to install programs without an internet connection, download the installation (.deb) files from another computer (for example from http://www.getdeb.net/), and doubleclick them in the file browser

dracayr

geomcewan
November 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have tried this and just get the "dependency" error messages.
Is it actually possible to install ANYTHING on Linux?

echo.whoami
November 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Why don't you try to find what depedencies needed for the package your want to install and download them as well and then install them???

Tell us which package you want to install and we may can help you...

geomcewan
November 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I downloaded the NVIDIA driver, PlayOnLinux deb, OpenOffice3 deb and Gstreamer - do I have to download other files to make them work, and if so what ones?

PmDematagoda
November 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Why don't you try simplifying the problem by first getting your wifi card working on Linux? You might want to start a thread in the Networking & Wireless section for this purpose.

geomcewan
November 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I fail to see why I cant install a simple graphics driver without being online. Not being able to install anything without being online seems to be pretty dire at best. It'd probably be quicker to re-install windows but I'd rather not go down that road.
If no one can help me install anything then its back to Mr Gates crap I'm afraid

oldos2er
November 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I fail to see why I cant install a simple graphics driver without being online. Not being able to install anything without being online seems to be pretty dire at best. It'd probably be quicker to re-install windows but I'd rather not go down that road.

You don't have access to the repositories unless you have an internet connection. You should be able to install ndiswrapper for your wireless connection from the Ubuntu Live CD.

geomcewan
November 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Why am I allowed to download deb files if you cant install them? I really cant get my head round this. Does this mean if someone in a poor country with no internet facilities will never use the worlds free operating system because he cant install anything on it?
No wonder Windows is so successful!
My router is down at the moment and I'm not about to risk changing this OS to Linux as it seems impossibly dificult to do menial tasks, or no one can tell you how to do it.