PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting rid of Windows Vista

jlbr21
November 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi, I have a new laptop, an HP pavilion DV5 1000 series, with an Intel core 2 duo, 4 Gb RAM, 320 Gb HD, and it came with Vista Home Premium (64 bit), and I am tempted to just reformat the HD, erase Vista and install Ubuntu as the main OS. I have been running an install of Intrepid via Wubi and it works fine except for the in-built webcam which I cant seem to make work, and a fingerprint reader, which I dont care too much about. Now, I must state that I can't get rid of Windows, I use Autocad, 3ds max, Adobe CS3, and I would still need to run them through a VM. However, I'm hesitant, HP did not provide with a Vista install disc, it provided me with a system restore partition from which I had to make my own system restore discs, so in case something goes wrong, or in case i want to go back to Vista, I dont know if I could. Also, the fact that most of my production tools will be run on a VM does not make me so content, also, it does mean splitting my RAM into 2 to make the VM quick and still having to grant Ubuntu with a good share of memory at the same time.

What do you recommend that I do?

Id appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

alienexplorers
November 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
WHy not just dual boot. I am doing it with Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04.1 and 8.10.... This way I have the best of 3 worlds.

avanhel
November 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I think that there are a few thing that you can do. First look on the website of WINE to see what programs you can run using wine which would normally only run with Microsoft windows. But The most important thing should be that there is always a way back. You should therefore first make some recovery disks or request them from HP. I never try anything without making sure that I can put everything back to the way it was.
Good luck in playing with UBUNTU

telltommy
November 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
i have two hard drives and just boot to windows or Ubuntu. I was thinking of just Ubuntu. I discovered Windows handles multimedia much less hassle. MP3 players can be a problem under Ubuntu, movie cameras, and I like to use the software "Amazing slow downer". If these problems are fixed in the future, i'll drop windows like a hot potato.

sonu 1807
November 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
You have to press F11 and follow the instructions and your system will be restored to factory setting ( all your documents will be deleted). Don't format the partition which has HP restore (on my 160GB laptop it was 8 GB partition.) Though I made the restore DVDs and completely formatted my computer. Now I am using Ubuntu Hardy and Fedora Sulphur only. Since I don't play games I would not return back to Windows at all. I had to perform the restore when my laptop was infected by a virus.But restore deleted all my documents. That's when I switched to linux completely. BTW I find hardy better than Intrepid. I will upgrade after one month when bugs are fixed

jlbr21
November 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions. Wine unfortunately does not support Autocad except early versions, 3ds max, nope, Adobe CS3 I think its improving but not good enough yet, dual-booting is an option, I just wished I could have everything under the same roof, the benefits of Ubuntu and my working tools as well.
Sonu, could you explain a bit more about the F11 button? When do you press it or under which circumstances, didn't quite understand but it sounds like an important piece of information.

Thanks again!

NoWayBill
November 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
You should also burn your system restore to DVD(s).
There will be a program in the start menu to do it.
You paid for it you should back it up, hard drives will fail.
Also I am not certain but I don't believe Fista will run in a VM.

My laptop had Fista installed, used 1.5g RAM for just the OS.
Wiped drive & dual Ubuntu/XP now.

sonu 1807
November 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Actually when you boot you will see this option ( only for a second though... like you press function button for help or changing boot option at the start). Once you press F11 your HP restore partition will be activated... it contains vista installation files and would perform a fresh installation of vista on your computer. On my lappy it took about 20 minutes. But your documents will be deleted

sonu 1807
November 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Simply you have to press F11 at the boot