PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google Earth

beswatcher
November 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
What am I doing wrong using terminal? I have downloaded Google Earth for Linux to the desktop, and have tried to use the instructions from Google.

"Open a terminal window/console and navigate to your default downloads directory. Enter the following command in the directory: > sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin"

When I try using terminal, this is what I get

rick@rick-desktop:~$ > sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
bash: GoogleEarthLinux.bin: command not found
rick@rick-desktop:~$

I've got to be doing something wrong.

Tom--d
November 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Right click the file > properties > permission etcetc > Tick allow file to be excuated (something like that) now do it.

beswatcher
November 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Just tried it, Tom. Same thing from terminal.:confused:

Tom--d
November 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Ah.. sorry, silly me. Do this as well,

sudo sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin

Ryadt
November 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
The code is
sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
without the >

beswatcher
November 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Iv'e tried both codes, but all I get is

rick@rick-desktop:~$ sudo sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
sh: Can't open GoogleEarthLinux.bin

At least now terminal realizes that a file is there!

natirips
November 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Try this in the terminal if you plan on installing somewhere in your home folder:
./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

Try this in the terminal if you plan on installing it into something like /usr/... or /opt/...:
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

Ryadt
November 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You must have the medibuntu repos for google earth.
sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

and you can install if you want with
sudo apt-get install googleearth

gmanuel
November 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I just opened a terminal then drag the Google Earth.bin icon into the terminal and pressed enter. It is installing now

natirips
November 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
You must have the medibuntu repos for google earth.
sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

and you can install if you want with
sudo apt-get install googleearth
I have google earth without the medibuntu repos. (Installed from the binary with "sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin".)
Although the repos are generally a better way.

beswatcher
November 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I just opened a terminal then drag the Google Earth.bin icon into the terminal and pressed enter. It is installing now

The simplest things work best! Except I had to hit enter twice. Google earth is running now.

Thanks everyone!!