PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help removing Kubuntu items in the Gnome menu

VitaminBB
November 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
So I wanted to try out Kubuntu and so I installed the desktop, installing it was easy and I played with it and would like to keep Kubuntu installed should I decide to play with it again.

Unfortunately all the KDE apps are in my Gnome menus now when I load Ubuntu.

How can I get the KDE apps to be hidden in my menu when I load Ubuntu (with Gnome) ???

I also have an issue with the network manager from KDE starting up every time I restart, how can I stop that from happening?

This has been a real annoyance, why would anyone bothering playing in different environments if they cant keep them separate?

Any help is appreciated.

VitaminBB
November 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
P.S. I already know I can hide the apps manually with the menu editor but I was hoping theres a solution like this ... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=59455 that works for 8.10 Ubuntu ...

Thanks again!

VitaminBB
November 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Anyone?

mapes12
November 9th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I did this a while ago. I had to uninstall the KDE desktop package then pick out whatever was left and uninstall them individually.

There is an other alternative but that involves a fresh install but make sure you have /home on a separate partition before starting.

VitaminBB
November 10th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Oh man. forget it, ill just hide the aps individually then ...

Why is this process set up so shotty like this?

Does it make too much sense to want to have the KDE desktop to be seperate from the Gnome desktop?

Anyway thanks for the heads up ...

73ckn797
November 10th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Oh man. forget it, ill just hide the aps individually then ...

Why is this process set up so shotty like this?

Does it make too much sense to want to have the KDE desktop to be seperate from the Gnome desktop?

Anyway thanks for the heads up ...

Shoddy? It is what it is. With what are you comparing it to? Only alternative is to dual boot with Ubuntu and Kubuntu or run one in VirtualBox.

Does make sense but doesn't make for reality.

VitaminBB
November 10th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Its the thought process ...

I get that some kde apps u might want to run in gnome and vice-versa but the installation process does not take into account the end user, that is to say it doesnt seem to put itself in the shoes of an end user.

This may lay in the linux idea of absolute control of the user, as in why bother to assume anything, let the user config things as they want, which is in some cases a good way to go, in other cases it just mounds on frustration and time needed to administer a system that should have things like this working in the end users favour.

The short answer is this isent the worst example ive seen so far with linux but things in general still have a long way to go before they are truly end user friendly.

I know many linux advocates that swear linux is ready for prime time but my evaluation is that there is still more tweaking then should be expected from a mature setup, tell me microsoft has issues too and I will agree whole heartedly but most ppl using systems today arent system gurus.

Ubuntu is marketed as a ready for prime time, end user operating system and its definately the closest to it (along with opensuse, fedora etc) and im watching Ubuntus progress with excitment but its things like this that stop me in my tracks.

Call it dumbing down a system if we need to but like the mac philosophy, I just want it to work and sometimes Ubuntu doesnt work for me ...