PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update issues....

Volund
November 9th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I just (attempted) to update to 8.10 from hardy, and though it installed fine, on restart, it froze on the loading bar (the one with the ubuntu logo above, and the orange bar filling below) in the 3rd bar section (if that matters somehow). I have restarted several times, and it freezes up in exactly the same place every time.

Do I have any options? or should I just go and download the ISO and re-install?

Thanks for any help.

tvtech
November 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
sure there are always options. boot into recovery mode/ safe mode I can't remember what grub calls it.

Volund
November 9th, 2008, 01:15 AM
sure there are always options. boot into recovery mode/ safe mode I can't remember what grub calls it.

well... I tried booting into recovery mode, but it freezes up at [22.224615] cs: IO port probe 0x3e0-0x4ff

what does that mean?

defishguy
November 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Are you using a laptop with a Dlink network card by any change?

Volund
November 9th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Are you using a laptop with a Dlink network card by any change?

No, it is a Atheros® 802.11b/g wireless-LAN card

Volund
November 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to bump, but my laptop is useless untill I get a fix :(.

any help is very much appreciated

kernelhaxor
November 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
It might not be worth your time to debug .. If I were you, I'd go for a fresh install

Crafty Kisses
November 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM
You should try booting into verbose mode so we can see where it stops at, while it's booting press the following:

Cntrl+Alt+F2
It will tell you where it stops at. You then can post it back here at the forums then I or someone else can help you.

Volund
November 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
You should try booting into verbose mode so we can see where it stops at, while it's booting press the following:

Cntrl+Alt+F2
It will tell you where it stops at. You then can post it back here at the forums then I or someone else can help you.

well, ctrl+alt+F2 did nothing while booting.

while booting into recovery mode it came up that it stopped at

[22.224615] cs: IO port probe 0x3e0-0x4ff