PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Choices

dgerwin11
November 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
A wealth of options. I have a computer with Ubuntu 8.04 (no Windows at all), which works fine except even with a ton of help from y'all, I can not get my HP All in One F4240 to work, but it does work on this Windows machine.

I am going to upgrade to 8.10. However, I am not sure if I should use Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu. I use that machine mainly for email (gmail), spreadsheets (Google Docs) and general web surfing. I don't use it for music, videos, gaming etc.

Which OS is the most appropriate for my needs. I am no tech hotshot, just an independent business man with relatively simple computing needs.

Thanks

tvtech
November 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Ubuntu is the most thoroughly supported, Kubuntu although offically supported I have found it lacking. xubuntu is for less intense hardware, want to save battery life go xubuntu. otherwise stick with ubuntu, it's easy and if you really want you can install another windows manager ontop of it later.

Zzl1xndd
November 9th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Kubuntu: I'm not a big KDE fan and even if I was Kubuntu is not the best KDE distro I have seen, so I wouldn't recommend it (if you like KDE I find Madriva does a good job with it).

Xubuntu: is very good on older hardware.

Ubuntu: Still the king IMHO

dgerwin11
November 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
What is a Windows manager, and do I need it to get printer/scanner to work?

rbradt
November 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Well, I do agree with tvtech about the derivatives of Ubuntu. I personally use Xubuntu on my laptop that I use for school which I do mostly email, openoffice, and general web surfing (just as you described). Xubuntu is made for less intense hardware like tvtech said, but if it's used on more advanced hardware, it's supposed to perform even better. So, really it's all about preference. For your uses, Xubuntu wouldn't be a bad choice because it is pretty minimal.

As far as your printer situation, have your installed any HP drivers? I have a HP All-In-One F4100 which I share with all my other Ubuntu systems, and it works just fine. So I'm just wondering what the main problem is.

-rbradt

Zzl1xndd
November 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
What is a Windows manager, and do I need it to get printer/scanner to work?

This might help with that question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

And no it wont help with your printer.

dgerwin11
November 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I too wish I knew what the main problem is. I wnt thru all the hplip hoops and I could not get it to work. It sais it printed 40+ jobs, but not one actually printed. I think that the shop that built it for me may have botched something. Unfortunately I haven't had time to takr it back for them to check it out.

kansasnoob
November 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM
If you're used to Ubuntu stick with Ubuntu!

As far as your printer it should be supported:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet_aio/deskjet_f4200_series.html

So first of all:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall hplip

And then:

sudo apt-get -f install

If you want the toolbox:

sudo apt-get install hplip-gui