PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing packages problems

geomcewan
November 8th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I have been trying to install various programs and drivers with no success so far. I have tried extracting the package and then double clicking everything possible! I have also tried the command line "make" command amongst others but have failed to install anything. The programs I'm trying to install include GStreamer and PlayOnLinux as well as graphic drivers.
I didn't expect this to be as easy as windows but this seems really difficult.
I trust I am doing something really dumb - any help greatly appreciated.

alienexplorers
November 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM
What graphic driver are you trying to load. Have you tried using Hardware Drivers program?

Mark_in_Hollywood
November 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM
For the future, please say with greater information what you want to do. We need to know the name of the apps/drivers at very minimum.

Having said that, you can from System/Administration, find both Hardware Drivers, Network, Printing. Is this enough? If I knew what you were installing I could have said more.

Are you online in Intrepid? or Gutsy? Online but not in Ubuntu? Are you online in a LiveCD session?

Let us know, we want to help all we can.

alwayshere
November 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM
go to applications then add/remove find what you want mark it click apply and your done

fooman
November 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM
best and easiest method of installing packages is with synaptic package manager.

go to system > administration > synaptic package manager

use the search button and see if what you need is available from the repos.

playonlinux is available in a .deb file. those are easy...just double-click on the file to install. get it here:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download-ubuntu.html

for the graphics driver (what card is it?)...first place to look is system > administration > hardware drivers

it will show if it has a driver available for you...click on it then click the "enable" button and it should install.

geomcewan
November 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM
The graphics driver is an NVIDIA Geforce 5 series which I got from the NVIDIA site.
I can write here from a second computer running windows. I download everything here and put it on the other computer on which I want to use linux permanently.
I will follow your advice re the deb packages tomorrow morning and no doubt will be back in touch here.
Pleased with such a quick response, thanks again.

alwayshere
November 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
put below in terminal

sudo su

then

lshw

post the result

oldos2er
November 9th, 2008, 12:54 AM
The graphics driver is an NVIDIA Geforce 5 series which I got from the NVIDIA site.
I can write here from a second computer running windows. I download everything here and put it on the other computer on which I want to use linux permanently.
I will follow your advice re the deb packages tomorrow morning and no doubt will be back in touch here.
Pleased with such a quick response, thanks again.

Go to System, Administration, Hardware Drivers, and see if you can enable your Nvidia card from there.

abooks
November 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm trying to hook up a desktop with a newly installed 8.10. I don't have wifi, I'm working on a broadband connector, but I'd like to at least get dial up now. (the "network" setting under Admin isn't there, so I can't use that). I downloaded ppp 2.4.4 on my laptop in town, but can't figure out how to get it into the desktop. Tried apt-get but it says it's not there, and Syaptic will only work when it's online. Is there another method?

THX

lakersforce
November 11th, 2008, 10:58 PM
try to do a lspci at command-line. you can see your hardware there.

Mark_in_Hollywood
November 12th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm trying to hook up a desktop with a newly installed 8.10. I don't have wifi, I'm working on a broadband connector, but I'd like to at least get dial up now. (the "network" setting under Admin isn't there, so I can't use that). I downloaded ppp 2.4.4 on my laptop in town, but can't figure out how to get it into the desktop. Tried apt-get but it says it's not there, and Syaptic will only work when it's online. Is there another method?

THX

From a Ubuntu LiveCD you can open a terminal and set-up wvconfig

from the terminal then

wvdial

and you will get your modem online and can download the GnomePPP