PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cannot mount volume.

Joner1
November 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Dear all,

I'm a new user of ubuntu 8.10 and I want to go on my exeternal harddisk to get my files. This harddisk I had under Windows XP - ntfs formated. The following error message appears:

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Can somebody help me to solve my problem?

regards
Joner1

Airfoot
November 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Plug it back in to windows xp or vista and do a safe hardware eject (right click the taskbar icon that appears when you connect the drive, then select safely remove hardware(or device)), this should allow you to mount the volume.

NathanDC
November 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I had the same problem!!! God I searched for ways to mount the damn thing and now it works!! Thanks..!

Airfoot
November 13th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Also, if you are trying to mount an internal disk that is NTFS or FAT that has a windows OS you will not be able to mount it if you don't do a proper shut down(start menu > shut down, don't hold the power button).

hoggson
November 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Is there any possible way around this? I am currently trying to help someone I have converted from Vista to Ubuntu and they have installed it over the Windows partition, and now cannot access their NTFS drive with their documents and backups on. :( Can you not force mount or something in partition manager (gparted)?

OK, good... found the answer. Edit /etc/fstab to force mount it @ boot. :)

Airfoot
November 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
To my knowledge there is no way around it, however you can do this at any windows machine (that is NT, Xp, or Vista) so you can do it at school or a library, all you have to do is plug it in, windows will automatically detect it, and safe remove.

Joner1
November 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Plug it back in to windows xp or vista and do a safe hardware eject (right click the taskbar icon that appears when you connect the drive, then select safely remove hardware(or device)), this should allow you to mount the volume.

Thanks a lot - great it works now. I mounted XP and safely removed it. Now it's now problem anymore and I'm happy!!!

thanks
Joner1:):):)