PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issue with Wireless connection

sved
November 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I have tried linux few years back. now back to linux (ubuntu 8.10) on desktop. using it from two days. the problems that I faced with wireless connection is viz.:

1. after first install got the windows drivers for my wireless card installed on ubuntu.
2. after the drivers in place first tried wireless connection with security disabled. WORKED FINE.
3. then tried with WEP security/authentication. WORKED FINE.
4. then tried with WPA2 personal. WORKED FINE.

However eventually after rebooting, it took sometime to connect to wireless network / it connected but again after few mins. got disconnected. and automatically got connected again. However did not bother much then as overall it was stable.

Now was learning about repositories and while doing so got the updates installed. they were few number of updates. then as got used with windows, restarted the ubuntu.

Now the PROBLEM STRARTS. the wireless connection is established very rarely. its like its wish whenever it wants it connects and if not it wont.

thought it was because of the updates and reinstalled ubuntu.

to my surprise the problem persists.

In the process I too faced the problem where it repeatedly used to ask for authentication but doing nothing.

however for now its working for the past 30 mins while iam browsing the others posts about the wireless connection and myself typing this post.

however want to add that i have a winxp on a laptop. which connects to the wireless router without any hassle. irrespective of whether i use the laptop and my desktop to access the wireless internet connection at the same time or one at a time the problem remains. ie even if the laptop is switched off the problem with ubuntu connecting my desktop to my wireless connection persists.

Even i faced the issue wherein the icon on the tray tells that wireless connection is established and shows the icon with colored bars. but cannot access internet thruogh firefox. subsequently tried to ping gateway and it says 100% packet loss.

and without any changes it will connect whenever it wants to.

hmm really tired. don't understand what is happening.

Internet is relatively slow compared to internet on w2k that i had on this desktop prior to ubuntu. w2k - it was fine.

wlan card: description: Wireless interface
product: RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller

:confused:

sved
November 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM
This morning again when i turned my comp on it was indicating that the wireless connection is established with the vertical bars icon in the tray. however could not access the internet. tried to ping the wireless router and it failed. successfull packets remained 0. last night itself it worked fine for about 3 to 4 hours continuously.

then tried this, turned off the router and turned it back on, as it will take less time for the router to restart than the ubuntu desktop.

and this time got wireless connection and also able to access the interenet.

what i suspect is, first round, i had switched on the router and the desktop at the same time. probably ther is some synchronisation problem, which i think got resolved after restarting one of them.

or if its something else - dont know