PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] hotmail won't work on purpose?

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I did a quick Google search to see if I was the only one having issues with Hotmail's latest upgrade. Has Microsoft really excluded Firefox and Linux intentionally?

nhasian
November 7th, 2008, 04:18 AM
its rubbish. i couldnt use it either. I even tried the user agent switcher and it didnt help. glad i still have gmail.

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
So then it is true?

nhasian
November 7th, 2008, 04:25 AM
MS does that all the time. yes on purpose. the more frustrated you get with other OS' the more likely you'll switch back to windows. Caldera sued them and won a while back because windows 3.11 was programmed to fail during install if DR_DOS was the OS instead of MS_DOS even though it would have run just fine.

handydan918
November 7th, 2008, 04:28 AM
So then it is true?

I am only surprised that you're surprised....

Anybody using Linux who has not already come to the conclusion the M/S is evil:

1) will, soon.

2) Isn't ready for Linux.
Yet.

OldTimeTech
November 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have a hotmail account, and the only thing it asks me to do is upgrade to Firefox 3.0.1, which I haven't done yet...so I have to tell it that I want to continue on to my hotmail. Other than it being slightly inconvenient...I still can get into my hotmail and use it the way I always have.

manilaph
November 7th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I have also written about this issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963252&highlight=hotmail

Some guys will say that there is no problem simply because they think that ALL WINDOWS LIVE HOTMAIL ACCOUNTS ARE THE SAME WHEN THE FACT IS... THEY ARE NOT.

There are 3 types of Hotmail (all free) accounts that are existing all at the same time due to the slow roll-out process being done by the Windows Live team.

The latest version of Windows Live Hotmail simply does not work on Linux right now.

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I have a hotmail account, and the only thing it asks me to do is upgrade to Firefox 3.0.1, which I haven't done yet...so I have to tell it that I want to continue on to my hotmail. Other than it being slightly inconvenient...I still can get into my hotmail and use it the way I always have.

It all worked fine till yesterday when they did an upgrade to the appearance. Now I cannot enter text into the massage area.

crjackson
November 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Can you actually CREATE/REPLY/SEND email? I can read and do everything EXCEPT type in the text fields of the email.

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I am only surprised that you're surprised....

Anybody using Linux who has not already come to the conclusion the M/S is evil:

1) will, soon.

2) Isn't ready for Linux.
Yet.

I know they are evil that's why I got Linux in the 1st. I just didn't figure they were this blatant. Guess they don't like not being able to peep my system anymore.

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I've actually been thinking of getting a new email account anyway. This is good incentive. Any suggestions for a new service?

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Can you actually CREATE/REPLY/SEND email? I can read and do everything EXCEPT type in the text fields of the email.

That is exactly what's going on.

randy78
November 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I've actually been thinking of getting a new email account anyway. This is good incentive. Any suggestions for a new service?

Go sign up for Gmail...

You won't believe how much better it really is than Hotmail until you try it yourself.
Besides, with a Google account, you'll have access to Reader, Google Docs and a bunch of other great stuff.

I've used it since since it first went public and I love it.
:popcorn:

dizzy1kenobi
November 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Nice avatar randy. That is actually the one I was considering though I think Google is getting a bit too nosy these days.

dustigroove
November 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM
"We recommend that you upgrade your web browser so you can get the most out of Windows Live Hotmail. Upgrading should only take a few minutes. To get started, choose one of the browsers below:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer
* Mozilla Firefox
* Apple Safari

If you don't want to upgrade right now you can still continue to Windows Live Hotmail, but some parts of it may not work and it may not be displayed properly.
Got a mobile device? Check your e-mail by going to http://mobile.live.com/hm."

Just another reason I'm happy to be Google-based...

Seems odd that they recommend Firefox even though it isn't compatible... any clue if Firefox on Windows renders it okay?

randy78
November 7th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Nice avatar randy. That is actually the one I was considering though I think Google is getting a bit too nosy these days.

Thanx Dizzy, I got it from http://www.gnome-look.org

Google is a champion of supporting open-source software and ideas, and while their policy concerning data-retention could use a slight overhaul, I find them the most trustworthy of all web based email providers.

I hope you'll read their privacy policy and then give them a test drive... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

dustigroove
November 7th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Fix is located here (with thanks to CB):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6114152&postcount=14

manilaph
November 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
The best solution is simply to migrate to Linux-friendly GMail

Yoke & Chung
November 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Ya, as what everyone else has said-- gmail. It is really fast. Tried Yahoo, sometimes loading the mailbox takes forever.

randy78
November 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Not only that, but the way that Yahoo handles a password reset is very insecure... at least GMail will send you a confirmation email to the secondary address that you provided when you signed up, to make sure that it's really you who's requesting a password reset... If you end up remembering your password and logging in, it will disregard the password reset link sent.

Not enough people use the "Write my own security question" option, and then half of those that do end up making the question something glaringly obvious to an attacker who has done some background work on the target.

Security isn't something you can download or install... it's a constant state of awareness, preparedness and action.

crispy_420
November 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I had issues with Firefox v2 but Firefox v3 seems to work fine for me.

But I also do admit that I am greatly unhappy with microsoft's change to hotmail and there lack of generic/legacy support.

dizzy1kenobi
November 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Thanx Dizzy, I got it from http://www.gnome-look.org

Google is a champion of supporting open-source software and ideas, and while their policy concerning data-retention could use a slight overhaul, I find them the most trustworthy of all web based email providers.

I hope you'll read their privacy policy and then give them a test drive... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

Cool I'll check it out as well gmail. Thanks.