PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 7.10 To 8.04 LTS - Good News!

mapes12
November 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I first started out with Ubuntu on this IBM Thinkpad T23 about 12 months ago. I no longer use ******* on this machine with Ubuntu operating faultlessly for all my needs.

My original installation was 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon but I knew at some point I would need to upgrade to 8.04 Hardy Heron for the excellent Long Term Support (LTS). Yesterday I took the decision to do just that. I had read about many horror stories on this forum about bad things happening using "Update Manager" to upgrade with many posts recommending a fresh install. Contrary to such recommendations I decided to let "Update Manager" have a go. And I'm so glad I did. All the update packages downloaded without a hitch (broadband) and the installation routine went fine. I have successfully upgraded to 8.04 with no problems whatsoever and all my other applications installed in 7.10 work fine. /home is on a separate partion and mounted accordingly with all my settings fully operational. My screen resolution is just fine and so is is my wifi connection to my broadband router.

The reason for this post is that for the majority of postings on this forum it indicates to Newbies that Ubuntu is not as good as a commercial operating system. This is not my experience. Indeed, I am able to accomplish a lot more tasks on my Ubuntu laptop that I couldn't do on a box with a commercial OS and without having to pay for additional software. Likewise, the security issues. I feel a lot safer doing my online banking using my Ubuntu laptop than using the "alternative" OS!

I have learnt one hell of a lot about Ubuntu over the last 12 months and computing in general and will continue to contribute to the forums to help others wherever my experience level will allow. I find this very rewarding.

Lastly but not least, I would like to say a big THANK YOU! to the entire Ubuntu Development Community and the Open Software Community out there for all that they do, and to Canonical Ltd for supporting such a fantastic alternative to what all of us would otherwise have to put up with.

Thanks Guys! :lolflag:

kernelhaxor
November 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

This thread might not belong in this forum.. I think it goes to Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences forum or The Community Cafe