PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Intrepid: Ethernet eee 901 does not work with CLEAN install

ghepardo
November 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Hi,
I've just did a CLEAN install (not an upgrade, but a format and then install) of Xubuntu 8.10 on my asus eee 901 (20gb).

The system installs fine, but I can't connect to internet because the wireless does not work (I knew this and there are workarounds) but also the ETHERNET DOES NOT WORK.

In fact most of the times the ethernet fails to get an IP address from my router DHCP, and even if I set a static IP, internet does not work. I can't surf the web nor ping a direct ip address.

What can I do ?

Can't nor fix wireless, because I need at least ethernet to get the files (from repositories) for wireless to work...

Can someone help me ?

Ghostlove
November 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
This is my problem exactly with my Eee 900 - if you find a solution, please let me know.

ghepardo
November 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I've found a solution.
The solution consists on removing the network manager from the autostarted application.

Here is the code you have to use:

1. Disable NetworkManager from starting up:

$ sudo update-rc.d -f NetworkManager remove

2. Reboot

3. Manually set up eth0 using ifconfig and route:

$ ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.10
$ route add default gw 10.0.0.24. Edit /etc/resolv.conf:
$ echo "10.0.0.2" >> /etc/resolv.conf

The exact IP addresses will be different for your individual setups, of course. So, to take advantage of your router DHCP, in spite of the last section of code (3), you might want to try running

dhclient eth0

Hope this helps,

Ciao bella! :)

Ghostlove
November 10th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Ghepardo I am trying this right now. If it works I will bake you biscuits and send them all the way to Italy. :D

Ghostlove
November 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Argh. I'm getting:

10.0.0.24. : Unknown host

Ghostlove
November 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Oh poop. Same error I've gotten a few times before trying to do this:

"No working leases in persistent database - sleeping."

All I want to do is get on the damned internet with my little EeePC. :(

ghepardo
November 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
In spite of using the code at the point 3

$ ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.10
$ route add default gw 10.0.0.24. Edit /etc/resolv.conf:
$ echo "10.0.0.2" >> /etc/resolv.conf

rollback all the things you did at the point 3 (I mean delete the line with 10.0.0.2 in the file /etc/resolv.conf) and then use this one:

sudo dhclient eth0

and it will work ^^.

Ghostlove
November 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
It didn't even let me do point 3. I just kept getting 'Permission denied', even using sudo. :(

ghepardo
November 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It didn't even let me do point 3. I just kept getting 'Permission denied', even using sudo. :(

Reboot.
Do the point 1.
Reboot, then do this:

sudo dhclient eth0

I am going to sleep now, tomorrow I've got to work.

I've added you to my msn, I can help tomorrow if you still need.
But I don't think, you seem a smart girl and this is an easy trick to do ^_^.

Ciao bella!

Mr_Miyagi
November 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Ghostlove, can you confirm that this worked?
Thanks!

Mr_Miyagi
November 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately this does not work for me at all. Anyone have a solution for this.

ghepardo
November 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
sudo apt-get remove NetworkManager

and then install WiCD:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Mr_Miyagi
November 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hmm, does not work. I'm going to see if I can try it with another network tomorrow. I thought I had a static ip (that's why I'm paying so much for my connection) but looking through my ISP help pages I think it might be dynamic. What can happen is they sometimes lock an IP to a mac-adress for a certain time (I'm using internet on my stationary computer). Usually you can just 'release' it and it will work with another network card. I have tried it but doesn't make any difference. I have managed to find a kernel that will give me wireless internet, so that's at least something.
I'll report in tomorrow.
Thanks!

Mr_Miyagi
November 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Ok, so I let my internet connection "rest" over night to be sure that any "IP-lock" would be released. And to my delight that worked. I was getting worried it was something wrong with my hardware, didn't test the ethernet before I erased Xandro. But now it's working! :guitar:

Damn that feels good, thanks for all the help...at least I got a better network manager :wink:

ghepardo
November 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Damn that feels good, thanks for all the help...at least I got a better network manager :wink:
Absolutely.

gazzmaniac
December 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hi ghepardo,
I would like to thank you for the solution you supplied to Ghostlove - the DHCP solution worked first time for me.

Regards,
Gary

Tomatz
December 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
You really should check out ubuntu eee. It has all the drivers etc out of the box.

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/

ghepardo
December 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi ghepardo,
I would like to thank you for the solution you supplied to Ghostlove - the DHCP solution worked first time for me.

Regards,
Gary

You'r welcome mate ^^

robstr
February 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your post! I had the same problem running Easy Peasy and eeebuntu on my eee 1000. The wired connection worked fine in Xandros and with another computer. Your fix worked for me on eeebuntu. After getting the wired connection working with your dhclient suggestion, I installed WICD, an alternative network manager tool. See Ray Haque's review and installation instructions:

http://rayhaque.blogspot.com/2008/06/eee-pc-network-manager-replacement-wicd.html

WICD seems immune to the problem, and I prefer its user interface. I haven't tested the wireless yet.