PDA

View Full Version : Today's updates - Lilo ?

Kevbert
November 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Loads of Jaunty updates today (05/11/08). One of them seems to be Lilo. Why would I want Lilo when Grub is the default boot manager ? Also what's the difference between

sudo aptitude upgrade
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
Each time I've upgraded packages it's suggested I use safe upgrade.

plun
November 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I just removed it and did a grub check as safety precaution

sudo apt-get remove --purge lilo

sudo update-grub

ronacc
November 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
good grief is that a massive oops , I wonder how many people that one will catch ? Oh well it serves us right for messing with a pre alpha:lolflag:

plun
November 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well... "Debian Sid" test maybe....):P

http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html

ronacc
November 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I saw the debian logos it stuffed into /boot ! I peeked in there to see what changes had been made before I purged lilo:p For safetys sake I never let the dev version install a bootloader , I just add the needed boot stanza to my existing grub on another drive .

Slug71
November 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Can Lilo boot Ext4?
Maybe they are testing for that purpose??

plun
November 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Can Lilo boot Ext4?
Maybe they are testing for that purpose??

No, I dont think so....

Plymouth runs with GRUB as I knows it... a must have for Jaunty

"Debian Sid import" has started... so watch out for the big bang..:lolflag:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-November/000510.html

philinux
November 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I rebooted after the LILO update and no difference. It was installed but not activated. I removed it.

Kevbert
November 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe I should raise a bug report if there isn't one already....Oh yes there is...here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lilo/+bug/293952).

ronacc
November 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
confirmed report and added comment.

rkrash3423
February 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
For anyone that cares....I've been researching about file systems for linux for a few hours now and came across this thread. From what I gather it seems xfs is becoming the standard file system, for several reasons, and for some reason grub doesn't like it. Hence when you try install ubuntu with the live cd with xfs it tells you that "grub often hangs or fails to boot with xfs" or something along those lines. And wouldn't you know it when I tired to do it I got an error message that the grub installation failed to execute (why I started the research) and now I'm downloading the alternate cd to use lilo instead of grub. I'm guessing this is why they are fooling with lilo in the alpha's.....

taavikko
February 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM
For anyone that cares....I've been researching about file systems for linux for a few hours now and came across this thread. From what I gather it seems xfs is becoming the standard file system, for several reasons

Where did you gather this information?
I', pretty sure that major distro's aren't moving away from ext
in a near future.

xfs is a great filesystem, but only few people has the needs to use it as fs. What I have gathered btrfs, when complete, is far more better solution than xfs...

But maybe someone with more acknowledgement will share some intel for us?

jknight
April 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I just ran a dist upgrade to 9.04 beta from 8.10 and I was prompted for lilo config.