PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't voice chat with Empathy (or with anything else except Skype)

realn
November 5th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Kubuntu HH.
I tried jabbin - didn't work. I tried gajim - doesn't support voice chat. I tried empathy: when someone is calling me, I can see the small icon in front of his name in the contact list flashing (original way of an incoming call); I double-click on the contact, I get a window with "user is calling- accep/reject"; I click accept then right away I have a disconnected message in the same window.
If I try to call a contact, I have a window with ringing and the other party doesn't receive any call.
I'm being more and more frustrated about the impotence of Linux when it comes to voice/video chat. More and more people use it for professional/personal communication and they find themselves with no option ... but Skype.
Could someone please tell me if she managed to make empathy work with vc under kubuntu and how?

PS. The same thing happend to me when it came to choose&use a VoIP soft phone supporting SIP: there were so many of them, none met all my requirements (and I am not at all a power user). Linux and its beautiful world of choices should be more focused on less but better thought things, IMHO.
Thanks a bunch!

realn
November 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Problem solved, the package from launchpad was not detecting all empathy dependencies, I installed them by hand.

jittopjose
November 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
could u plz let me know what are the dependencies u installed by hand...
here i inatalled empathy from ppa in hardy... now when i calls... the person at the other end can hear.... but i cant hear what he says.... does not have any sound from headphone and external speakers.... but sound works all other applications...
anybody have any idea about it?