PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me set up a network bridge in 8.10

Joe of Parma
November 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
So 8.10 is the first version of Ubuntu that installs on my laptop, and overall I'm enjoying the experience for the most part. However, I've run into a little trouble trying to set up a network bridge.

Under Vista I was getting wireless internet and then sharing it with my Xbox 360 via my ethernet port. I was told to use Firestarter to bridge my two connections, but I can't get that working - it always says that eth0 (my NIC) is not ready. Is there any way to fix this, or a better/easier way to do it through the terminal?

Thanks in advance. :)

BTW: I don't really know much about Ubuntu yet - still kind of learning the ropes. Let me know if any other information I can provide would be helpful.

nixscripter
November 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM
This is the command line method which usually works for me:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConnectionBridge

Hope this helps.

Joe of Parma
November 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
That method failed for me here:

route add default gateway <default gateway ip address>
dhclient <bridge name>

I did the first of those commands and it said that "route" wasn't a command, and I tried it with sudo and I got the same message. Then I did the dhclient command and it basically said "looking for DHCP servers 255.255.255.255" and eventually stopped after doing that eight or nine times.

nixscripter
November 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Route wasn't a command? That's a new one. Try /sbin/route instead.

And if it doesn't work, the rest of it won't either. This part is necessary to let the dhcp client (the next step) know what address to use.

Joe of Parma
November 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry, I slightly misreported the error message last time:

root@joptop:~# route add default gateway 192.168.1.1
SIOCADDRT: No such process
root@joptop:~# /sbin/route add default gateway 192.168.1.1
SIOCADDRT: No such process

:-[

Joe of Parma
November 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Blah, anyone have any advice on this? I'm slowly pondering the thought of getting out the ol' Vista disc :(

nixscripter
November 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Oh, that error message is quite different. That means it can't decide what interface to use. Please post the output of
ifconfig -a.