PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen freezez after i enable visual effects to extra or normal

Flicules
November 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hi there...i seem to have some trouble with my video card...
I just used the guide lines on a forum and i installed my ATI driver.
It works fine....after i use the command fglrxinfo i get:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 PRO
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release
Acording to the tutorial on how to install ATI drivers...this meas i've succesfully installed the driver.
Then i made some tweaking....blacklisting...whitelisting of the fglrx driver...all done.
So in theory...it shoud work just fine....
After i change the Visual Effects to Normal or Extra....the screen freezez and there is nothing i can do(RESET button).
I tried Alt+F2...the same result.
I followed the instructions that i found here:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...g_Mesa_drivers
In the tutorial it does say that R300 cards....mine is a R350 (Radeon 9800PRO)...."Note that when Visual Effects (Compiz) are active, flickering and artifacts may occur in OpenGL applications and hardware accelerated video windows (particularly with R300 chipset). To prevent this, disable Visual Effects. "
But i do remember that when i've installed Ubuntu for the first time...effects were working fine....after installing propetary driveres...it all got messed up.
So...is there any way to make my card work with visual effects?....and if not...how do i get back to the drivers Ubuntu installs the first time(and do work)...
Note:Will i have trouble waching movies...or any other issue if i go back to Ubuntu supplied drivers for my video card???
I'm sorry for the "novel" i wrote here...but i had to describe the problem in detail.I'm new with Linux.
Pls help