PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Organizing music with rhythmbox

atorch
November 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,

Does Rhythmbox have an "organize" function (similar to Amarok's or iTunes')?

For example, if I like my songs to be kept in ~/Documents/Music/Artist/Song.mp3, and I use Rhythmbox to play a dozen music files from my desktop, is it possible to have those dozen files moved automatically into my Music folder?

If so, how?

If not, why the f*#$ is this functionality missing? I like that Rhythmbox is so lightweight, but every music player should be able to organize files. Right now, I have to use Amarok to organize my songs, and I tell Rhythmbox to "watch" my Music folder for updates -- very inefficient / stupid.

Anyone?

maxmartin
February 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Bump - I'd like to see an answer to this question as well. I don't want to have to manually create directories every time I want to add music to Rhythmbox - it's silly that this software would not have this functionality.

cyberkilla
February 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yes, I've often wondered about this myself.

Music collections can get very messy when id3 tags are changed and no longer correspond to the 'library/artist/album' folder hierarchy they reside in.

atorch
April 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Could we get this written as a rhythmbox plugin? I only know how to code in C, and I have no idea what language rhythmbox plugins are written in.

Just to make sure we're on the same page:

Rhythmbox's preferences already specify a library structure, e.g. /Artist/Title.extension on my machine.

I'd like to be able, in rbox, to right click on a song and, in addition to "add to play queue" and "move to trash," see an option to "move file to library."

For example, a friend might give me a file, and I might grab it from his usb drive and save it on my computer as ~/Desktop/The Beatles - The White Album - Side One - 08 - Happiness Is a Warm Gun.mp3. If I drag the file into rhythmbox and use my "move to library" function, the file is moved to ~/Music/The Beatles/Happiness Is a Warm Gun.mp3, with hardly any effort on my part. I could even do this with entire albums' worth of music, all in one click.

immeŽmosol
June 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I would very much appreciate the described behaviour as well.

plugins are written in python , but I also see .so -files , don't know what that is...
$ apt-file list rhythmbox | grep plug

atorch
July 31st, 2009, 04:28 AM
Okay, well does anyone reading this...

1. agree with the idea, and

2. know python?

=P

atorch
October 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
http://live.gnome.org/RhythmboxPlugins/WritingGuide

bkadoctaj
May 2nd, 2010, 10:34 PM